Thread: headlamp swappage

headlamp swappage

For those who don't know, there's 2 variants of Mk3. The late models gained a facelift (FL's) and the early ones are known as Pre-Facelift (PFL). One of the differences are the headlamps:

On the left, you've the PFL lamp with combined Dip/main beam and on the right, the FL lamp, with separate projector style headlamp.

Whilst the FL lamps appealed to me, I disliked the chrome overload they had. So, undeterred, I picked a set up and introduced them to the heatgun...

introduced the plastic chrome to some scotchpads...

and then to some paint

leave out the orange reflector for good measure...

and that's as far as I've got so far. Lamps have to warmed back up to reactivate the unbelievably sticky mastic. I've also got to wait for the slow boat from china to deliver some new plugs for the bulb holders.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I've seen this mod on FB before and it looks fantastic, never tried it myself but might give it a go, did you not fancy a bit of green action although the black looks awesome.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

nah, wasn't tempted by the colour coding. There's still some fun to come with the wiring, from what I've read, everyone struggles to get them working properly so it's a good opportunity to do a full "how to" for the community.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Actually looks cool without the lenses on the top. Nice mod

Great work Jeff, it certainly improves it.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Looks very nice, now get the mk1 finished stop faffing with the mk3 haha.