Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Josh's Mk3 VVti 1mz

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Josh's Mk3 VVti 1mz

We've been here a few times before, vvti 1mz Mk3s are hardly production line conversions though, but i thought it might be nice to pop up a random build thread on one as it's been a while since we covered the process.

Anyway, this is Josh's Mk3, it needs a little TLC in places but is one of those works in progress cars, this is it on the lift ready for surgery.

I do like to take a good before and after shot of my bays..... so here is the before...

Several hours later...

We noticed the rear bumper support bar has sustained some previous accident damage, we will address this while it's off the car.

So a long way to go, tons of fabrication work, some new mods and improvements to come!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Another good idea, following this build. I was wondering how the 1MZ gets into a MK3.

I know there is quite a lot of fabrication work goes into the MK3 Paul but the prices for early models are lower than those of MK2s. It's become a lot more cost effective to do V6 swaps on the roadster than ever before.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Yes has a lot of TLC needed! Little bits at a time. Or big bits straight away with the swap!

Shame about the crash bar, hadn't spotted that before which is a shame, hopefully it's just the bar that's damaged.

Thanks again Paul for build thread and quick progress already.

We inspected the rear of the car Josh and it's just the bar that's damaged, the chassis legs are fine, it looks like it has had a little bumper nudge in the past.... easily sorted.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Great, hopefully it hasn't been too much work to rectify it, would have been an issue if it was chassis damaged. Doesn't look as rusty in there as I thought it would be :)

Ok, engine bay is soon to be painted and I'm still a little undecided! At first I was thinking, black engine bay with blue bits, but then wasn't sure a black chassis would look good with the rest of the car blue.

I'm now heading towards blue for the engine bay and then a chili/Ferrari red for the engine and accents. What are peoples thoughts? Any colour schemes that stand out and look good?

Painting an engine slows a car down, why waste time & effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrichards20 View Post
    Ok, engine is soon to be painted and I'm still a little undecided! At first I was thinking, black engine bay with blue bits, but then wasn't sure a black chassis would look good with the rest of the car blue.

I'm now heading towards blue for the engine bay and then a chili/Ferrari red for the engine and accents. What are peoples thoughts? Any colour schemes that stand out and look good?
    Metal flake orange looks pretty good against metallic blue :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Painting an engine slows a car down, why waste time & effort.
    Bollocks! Everyone knows paint on an engine is good for at least 50bhp.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast