Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My Blacktop Beams Swap

Very exciting I can't wait for you to get your hands on the engine too and work your magic.

Yeah as soon as you say that it's going to fit I will get the engine out the mk1 and start doing the prep work ready for the engine.

uploadfromtaptalk1393010032563.jpg

It was such a beautiful day today that I decided to take the engine out the mr2, managed to get it all out but run out of light so I couldn't get any pictures but I will put some up tomorrow. :-)

Managed to get a few pictures to show what i achieved yesterday including the obligatory picture over me in the engine bay :-) I feel like I'm starting to make progress now.

I've got to to clean the engine bay up as it is so dirty

uploadfromtaptalk1393066858251.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393066874911.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393066903568.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393066921043.jpg

Great stuff, that engine is going to be beautiful in your mk1.

I really hope so I'm excited to get the engine in the car.

Nice work on the strip downs, this should be a nice swap for the mk1

Cheers people the strip down was fun.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Issues, issues and more issues..... this engine has a lot of swap issues!

We got our hands on it and dived in to sort the multitude of swap related problems this was bound to throw up, starting with the drivers side engine mount. On the 3s-ge this would be bolted to the block, onthe Beams there was this funny little cambelt idler pulley using the three block holes, and we couldn't see a reason for it, it wasn't guiding the belt away from anything so it went in the bin. Now the Beams has a totally different tensioner setup to the 3s-ge, so one of the mount holes had to be cut right back, i still don't know if i will get a bolt in this location but worst case it will be ok without it...

The mount arm has had a special bracket made for it that bolts here....

So regardless of that third bracket hole it has plenty of support.

The cambelt covers have had to be cut to fit around the mount bracket and the Mk2 engine mount has had to be gound down a lot to clear now.....

Alternator, can't stay in the Beams position, and we can't use the GT4 top bracket either, luckily with few mods a rev3 3sge bracket works and lifts the alternator up out of the way... 3s-ge crank pulley works with this.

Something we didn't think of was engine tilt, the 3s-ge sits at an angle, the Beams does not, but bolting it into an Mr2 makes it tilt again, this causes havoc with oil pickup and sump so we have had to modify both of those...

We also need to make a bespoke inlet manifold adapter, that will flip the plenum upside down, it will also make it look right in an Mr2 engine bay, exhaust manifold needs making from Beams and 3s-ge ones welded together and the dipstick needs relocating and will be a one off for this install.

So this is what we have after 1 day...

Plenty more to come.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast