Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My AW11 on track at Bedford autodrome today

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
    Awesome!! You guys get to do all the cool stuff! I really liked it in the first video, where you were chasing the two cars. You made quick work of one of them coming out of a corner and the other one did himself in with an "off" because you drove his ass down into the next one, pressured him and he cracked.
    I let the lotus past as he was very quick into and through the corners, if not quite so fast down the straights. He then outbraked himself and didn't get round it. The giggling was seeing the bmw we overtook spin out trying to get round the corner at the same time - I had been struggling with that corner all day and had already span out at 80+ twice on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
    On the second vid- you were tailing the MK3 and it looked as if one point you motioned to him to "go go go" because he was holding you up.
    The mk3 was pistol pete - also a subscriber here - I'd seen his car wiggling amusingly through corners earlier and was trying to film it happening. Much more shortshifting for me doing that as it's a stock mk3 and not so fast.

There are a couple of instances where I bounce off the limiter - not something i like doing so was generally trying to change up at 6000rpm. You really can drive the 2gr on the torque - 3k rpm is plenty, rather than going through a corner at 5k rpm and then immediately having to change up on corner exit. If you give it WOT in 2nd, the rears light up and you will spin out - it's not so bad in 3rd.

The reassuring thing is that it's on stock brakes (no ABS). The mk2 is a fat lump compared to a mk1 and a mk3, but the brakes stood up to the abuse all day - once I'd worked out how to do it.

I didn't know bedford and I was wary of the possibility of cooking the brakes and hitting things, so I'm braking quite early most of the time. I am a lot more familiar with the slide points now though - and I suspect I could get faster on that track. I can't heel and toe, which both Ben and Pete do - and it does seem a nicer way to come down the gears once you work it out.

Would like to do it more, but I don't want to wear the car out - it's primary purpose is a road car, not a track weapon. I can't begin to imagine how quick a 2gr mk1 would be.

Gavs

So cool, so Very cool. This statement says it all and I couldn't feel what the car was doing "If you give it WOT in 2nd, the rears light up and you will spin out - it's not so bad in 3rd"

You're making me want the 2GR again... Very cool, loads of fun and nice driving.

2gr mk1 on the twisty hilly roads going from were the prisoner was filmed to Cardiff through gods country was 4 hours of sheer bliss.

I may do a track day or hill climb as it will be interesting just what a mk1 2gr would do round a circuit (if one ever existed).

Re the noise info
    Cheers guys :icon_biggrin: The volume measured at some distance and 45 degree angle from the exhaust is pretty much how I remember it from Coombe, good to know Bedford is in the 105dB range for the static test.
    Can always keep the wastegate noise to a minimum on drivebys by whacking the boost all the way up :icon_mrgreen:

Wonder if it'd be worth whacking up a thread just keeping track of who is going on trackdays and when? Could be fun for getting some mini-meets going.

That 2gr sounds gorgeous, and a really nice lap too.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    2gr mk1 on the twisty hilly roads going from were the prisoner was filmed to Cardiff through gods country was 4 hours of sheer bliss.
    I may do a track day or hill climb as it will be interesting just what a mk1 2gr would do round a circuit (if one ever existed).
    Mmmm.... that drive back from Portmeirion is lovely.
    Hill climb could be interesting even just to spectate. Regulation-wise it's very much the "anything goes" category of motorsport, from stock road cars to retired f1 cars so it's fairly accessible. It'd be interesting to see a 2gr mk1 (or any of the brutaled mr2s) give it a crack that's for sure.
    Last edited by AlunJ; 25-02-2014 at 01:44.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

I'm on board Alan, even if i have to buy a fucking Micra to do it.

I know its miles from you but Bedford is sweet. If you fluff all but one of the bends, you just end up sat facing the wrong way on grass laughing you ass off....

:)

c.

My AW11 on track at Bedford autodrome today

That would be a cool day out at Bedford would probably have to book a travel lodge though.

And my electrician friend races two micra all over in the 1.0 class and 1.3 he can tune a 1.0 to 95 or 130bhp and apparently it's loads of fun.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 25-02-2014 at 09:46.

I got in a Travelodge in Bedford for £31 for the night. Remember to budget for fuel tiggs :-)

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post

Hi Tiggs - have a look at Harewood House hillclimb school at Leeds. Should be attackable from you in the day, or stay locally. It's probably the most picturesque and challenging circuit in the country (and the longest). Really good ,sociable day - small groups with great instructors, fully marshalled, unlimited runs ( subject to usual time constraints) It really is a great set up........check it out!
    Chris

Oooh sounds good will give that a look seeing as my Aunty lives in horseforth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123