Thread: Ignition timing problem

Ignition timing problem

hi all, Merry Xmas, been tyring to sort the timing out, check timing before touching anything, 40' adavnced, lowest i could adjust idle was 2500rpm

took the dizzy out cleaned up chnaged cap n rotor, installed evverything back, jumped the conection, and adjusted timing the lowest it will go is 22', is there something wrong, the dizzy is hiting the exhaust maifold, cant go any more, now i drive it its lack of power, but now the lowest i could get the idle to 2000rpm,

still drinking fuel heavley,

am i doing something wrong?

iv gone with BGB,

very fustarted!

please help, thank you

Hi Raheel,

Nice to have you back!

I'm assuming you're running a standard 4A-GE? It sounds like you dizzy timing is a tooth out, if thats possible? Has the dizzy been removed for any reason? Rebuild?

Check TDC, mark the dizzy No.1 on the body and refit the dizzy and check again.

Chris.

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply

Before i removed it i couldn't get the timing below 30, then removed it cleaned up and re timed it, done it 3 to 4 times,

Could it be something stoping the timing to go any lower,

Thanks

You keep funny hours ! :)

Aside from the cam belt timing being yards out not really. It sometimes takes a couple of goes to get the dizzy in the right spot, due to the helical gear.

Have you rebuilt the engine? Or did this happen suddenly? The help we can give is only as good as the information you give, so feel free to rewind a bit and give us the full story!

Chris.

I second what chris has said.. looka like your timing is way out. Possible that someone has replaced cam belt and not timed up engine correctly

whip off the top timing cover line up the dots with the marks and check that the timing marks at the crank pulley are right.