thread: Has anyone got a ABZ engine and or 01X gearbox laying around?

Aug 2006
    Hellingly, East Sussex

Has anyone got a ABZ engine and or 01X gearbox laying around?

Cooking up a project and wanted to double check some measurements.

Need a measurement for the top two bolt holes on a ABZ block please, not too sure which one is the correct bolt hole:

I bought a OB4 gearbox (has 0B1 also stamped on it) that doesn't line up with the AGB engine I have, so I have either bought the wrong gearbox or the 0B4 box is a different bell housing to the 0B1 gearboxes or they both don't fit my V6.

The mounting holes look very similar and the top gearbox hole is out about 10mm or so, 4 or 5 of the bolts line up ok, haven't checked that the shafty bit is centered yet. I may junk the idea of the 0B box as the drive shafts are too close to the OEM turbo positions so new manifiolds are needed and issues with the starter motor/flywheel and the block needs adjusting to make the 0B box work, so either a 01X or 01E will be better suited.

For your amusement/flaming:

Once I have the correct gearbox for the AGB engine and decide on either a MK2 or Mk3 to chop up I will start a proper build thread.

My aim once I have sold all the bits off the S4 I bought, including the 'uckin big 10 pot calipers, s/s exhaust and all the other bits, the engine and chosen gearbox will be free....just incase the idea of a MR2.7tt fails due to the lack of space for all the turbo(s) intercoolers/pipework etc etc.
    We ALL make mistakes....

Oct 2009
    Cambridge, Ontario
    Wish I could help with your request, mine is not an ABZ. Love the 2.7tt idea though. They flamed me on the audi boards for not using the 2.7tt as opposed to the 4.2l v8 :p

Aug 2006
    Hellingly, East Sussex
    I don't think it matters if its ABZ or not. As far as I am aware the V8 boys all use the 01X box, not actually seen one with a 0B1 yet on these boards.

I just need to know if the 0B4 box I have has a different bell housing pattern to the 0B1 or if the V8 has a different pattern to a V6.

Just sending the spacer plate I have to a breakers with a 2.5 tdi 01E box for sale to see if the bolt patterns match so will report back. If the 0B4 box can be used on the V8 then it may be of some use to someone doing the swop.

:)
    We ALL make mistakes....

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Wayne i have fitted an OB1 onto an ABZ, i still have that very engine at the garage with its modified starter recess etc, it definitely bolts up to the ABZ.

As far as i'm aware i am the only person to ever do that, but i can get you measurements if you like, i don't have the OB1 anymore but the ABZ is easy for me to get at and measure.

I have no idea if the OB4 gearbox shares the same pattern as the OB1 though.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Aug 2006
    Hellingly, East Sussex
    Thanks Paul, seems the 0B4 box has a different stud pattern.

:thumbsup:
    We ALL make mistakes....

Aug 2007
    Wish I could help with your request, mine is not an ABZ. Love the 2.7tt idea though. They flamed me on the audi boards for not using the 2.7tt as opposed to the 4.2l v8 :p
    How so?

Oct 2009
    Cambridge, Ontario
    How so?
    Why did they flame me? Because apparently the 2.7tt is better for tuning or something, especially if you try to stick with the factory Bosch engine control for your tuning.

I will measure my v8 bolt holes (not sure if they're the same), I can do that tomorrow morning and post up in the afternoon (If Paul hasn't beaten me to it).

Aug 2006
    Hellingly, East Sussex
    Thanks chaps !!!!!
    We ALL make mistakes....

Sep 2007
    Up the creek
    Wayne....

This gearbox?

If so mate... The top two hole centres are.... well... if there's no answer today i can swing by and measure them this eve. :thumbsup:

Aug 2006
    Hellingly, East Sussex
    If you can that would be cool! Hopefully they are the sameas my V6 engine so its just the gearbox that is different.
    We ALL make mistakes....

•