Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My new project

Cut up my old mk1.5 system and had it modified to join up to the Mk3 Blitz system. Not ideal but will do to get some miles on it.

400 miles down and quite a few teething issues. Fixed some of them however the engine bay temps aren't so easy.

Planning to move the alternator back to the mk2 location to free up a bit of breathing space around the bulkhead and manifold. Have also removed the rain tray which has made a difference.

Had an issue with the coolant boiling over 5 mins after turning the car off rather than the normal localised boiling. Pressure cap would hiss and dump all the coolant in the overflow bottle and then the floor. Filler neck was all corroded on inspection so the cap wasn't sealing and holding the correct pressure. Hasn't boiled over since but keep expecting the worst every time I turn it off.

Also need a new exhaust, this is killing the power and seems to drop off boost quite quickly on gear changes, had to turn duty right up on AVCR just to make 1 bar.

Some pics from the other night.

Glad your battling with it than giving up - its heady days of pioneering again!

What about an anti-perc pump to keep circulating coolant post shutdown? The renault 5 GT turbo and clio 16V's had them when they first came out.
    Exhaust may help with temps too - if it's being strangled you'll have a lot of heat building up there. You going to lag the be-jesus out of the new system?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I was studying a 3vz pump recently with a view to gutting it in favour of an electric water pump.

You can wire them into a turbo timer so that they will continue to circulate water long after the engine is switched off.

You can also set them at a constant speed to keep the temp down in traffic etc.

C.

Used to have a 5 turbo, the perc fan actually blew cold air at the carb rather than circulating coolant from my memory.

I suspected a cracked block the other week and was ready to throw in the towel and get a Honda K20. Decided to persevere a little longer. Downpipe is already fully lagged but its a cheap rubbish one, would be a little more concerned about wrapping an expensive exhaust system although I know a lot of people who have.

VW electric water pump was another idea but the thing stopping me is the fact I shouldn't need it and am likely masking another issue somewhere.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345