Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ-FE Into a Mk2?

the 1uzfe is one of the best engines ever made, 600 bhp on an early engine with standard internals, pick them up for 200 quid all day long.
    The only downside to them is they all came in auto, but mating them to a manual box is easy using an adapter plate.
    Ive done it with the 350z 6 speed an 1uzfe, gimme an e153 and il mate it to the 1uz I have in my shed ;)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Les, make sure you let us know if that car goes up for sale.

I would love one. I have a company fuel card.

:)

Next time i go over there i'll give the bloke my number and ask him to give me a bell when he decides to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Yes, I have spoken with this guy. I was going to follow his lead and do the same thing, but if you look at the date on that post, it was around five years ago. I have emailed him again through his site asking to see the finished car. No response as of yet. The Northstar engines are junk. As a matter of fact- all Cadillac cars & parts are the same way. You can get these cars cheap here. GM is trying to rectify the bad reputation but they'll never convince me that anything they make is any good. I will give them a nice tip of the hat, for the new Corvette & the Camaros. Those are nice cars, even if GM made them.

Back on point:
    You know me- I like cheap. If that Northstar engine fits to the Pontiac G6 transmission and this guy got one to fit into an MK2 and his only issue is the driveshaft clearances, I would likely select that set up. Cheap, readily available and basically disposable engines. One breaks down, you simply scrap it and get another to put in it's place.

The 1UZ-FE is a proven engine, and I think it makes more power than the junk GM engine. There is also another small V8- it's the 4.0 from the Lincoln LS, which was a joint venture between Ford & Jaguar back around 2000-2006. Those make good power, I have done smoking burnouts in one :) but don't think it came in a front wheel drive. Of course I love the 1UZ because it's a Toyota and it seems natural to keep them together in an MK2.

I believe it can be done. If this Cbulen guy got one into the car and it's "in the hole" as it were, he's halfway home! When I've built snowmobile powered and bike engine powered cars, if I managed to get the engine & trans hanging "in the hole", that thing was RUNNING in a matter of days.

If I get the set up in the bay, have it hanging on it's mounts- that's it- We're driving it.

The all wheel drive option is too complicated, too much work- the designs have been perfected and anything we would build that was AWD, would be less of a performance car and more of an abomination. If you want a nice AWD drive car, there are loads on the second hand market to buy and improve upon. That's my thought on that.

So- If I'm to fit a 1UZ, what trans do I use? The S54 & E153's are not good enough. I hate their synchro timing & design, they don't shift like a freshly rebuilt T-5. You can smash a T5, the little MR2 transmissions aren't the ones. So which gearbox?
    Last edited by Grenade; 14-12-2013 at 14:25.

As I say ob1 I think after reading this thing would be up to the job. We can get them here in the Audi a4/5 after some reading.

It is simply a case of making the adapter plate so it fits that engine. Obviously there is soooo much more involved but I think it's realistic

I was "fact checking" on Wikipedia. The Northstar & the 1UZ make about the same power. Around 300.

Don't the 2GR's make that same number?

What's the main advantage to the V8 install, other than the "cool factor" & the sound?
    (that's likely enough motivation for me)

The weight imbalance and the complexity coupled with the power the new V6's make- it would seem these issues are the crux of why you don't see V8's in MK2s?

If I do a V8 in one of these- I want it to do WHEELIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
    So- If I'm to fit a 1UZ, what trans do I use? The S54 & E153's are not good enough. I hate their synchro timing & design, they don't shift like a freshly rebuilt T-5. You can smash a T5, the little MR2 transmissions aren't the ones. So which gearbox?
    How about the Audi OB1 from the S5

Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2karl_tbar View Post
    As I say ob1 I think after reading this thing would be up to the job. We can get them here in the Audi a4/5 after some reading.
    An I talking to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    How about the Audi OB1 from the S5

That looks like it will do nicely. Why not simply use an Audi V8? same problem as the guy in Canada? Doesn't fit, have to stretch chassis? Not doing that, it seems like the Toyota V8 and the Audi V8 are similar in size? I ran it past my lovely wife this morning and she said "Go ahead make one a V8, but I'm not getting in it" hahaha, that means I have the all clear to proceed on the next build. We have until next winter to get the details worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2karl_tbar View Post
    An I talking to myself?
    No- I'm sorry I missed it. I went back and read it- you did say that first. I think I was posting faster than I was reading. So this OB1 looks like it's a good choice but I still need convincing on why not choose the silly NorthStink engine because someone has already crammed it in the bay of one.

There you go you answered it on your own. Someone already did it

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast