Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MK1 V6 Conversion - Project Mini-Me

Yup. Not a huge benefit that can be seen from skimming and increasing the compression ratio which is why I was toying with a 1mm skim (Gonna stick to a 0.5 now I think maybe more next time). Based on those figures I posted up that give an idea of how skims affect CR and piston force a .5mm skim will increase the output by somewhere around 5% (+/- 10bhp) but it will all add up. That's partly why not going for a full 1mm as I don't think it's worth risking rebuilding the engine for another (possible) 10bhp at the max.

Saying that though a standard head gasket is around 1.3mm thick whereas a bimetal or similar can be around 0.6mm so a difference of 0.7mm. Seems logical to assume that a 0.7mm skim would be ok but may cause issues if the heads ever had to be skimmed again so doing 0.5mm leaves a little spare should it ever be needed. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Couldnt find it, did find this though.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...+cylinder+head

Finally getting a bit of time to catch up with this...

The car has been literally just sat there, although to be fair it still started on the button. Paint has faded a little but hopefully should come up well with a t-cut at it is on the surface.

Heads have been skimmed at 20thou (0.5mm) to compliment the porting and rebuilt, valves lapped back in, heads rebuilt, fitted and all torqued up, flywheel has come back and been machined out ready for the V6 crank and also been re-faced.

Over the weekend the 3VZ-fe engine has been rebuilt, Mk1 pulled into the garage and out with the old 4A-GE 1.6 lump and box.

Mk1 Jig at the ready, plates for the new mounts all prepped up (Thanks Mark!) and next on the list will be removing the old mk1 mounts and installing Mk2 mounts and then finishing to build the engine loom back up. When I had the 3VZ engine the loom had been cut open and taped back up from start to finish, so I decided to strip back and rebuild from start to finish for my own peace of mind.

Few quick pics, and planning to be finished in time for Japfest. :fingersx:

Cam covers and plenum have been painted and will also be re-painting the engine bay once I've cleaned it up and finished the new mounts.

A few pics for the time being and will get some more tomorrow;

Last edited by wood_patrick; 06-04-2015 at 18:38.

That looks like fun. Where's my sodding invite?

Also there's something wrong with this thread; there's a year missing, it goes from Dec 2013 to now. Surely that can't be right. [emoji14]

Perfectly normal behaviour for a mk1 V6 build thread...
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

And he couldn't resist T-cutting that rear panel. :)

Yeah, unfortunately it has dragged on a little longer than planned... :-\

That's the biggest reason I had to start clearing some out, as there really isn't enough time to play, maintain and build new projects so hopefully can commit to this and get it hooning round by Japfest. :-)

And nope, not t-cut, that was a baby wipe which rapidly dried out shortly after the photo. :-) Will try giving a patch a rub though to see how it comes up as it doesn't actually seem that bad and looks worse than it is. Update soon!

Hope the fidanza turned up ok

Quote Originally Posted by deangts View Post
    Hope the fidanza turned up ok

Hi, and yep arrived a-ok many thanks. :-) I was planning to use it on this conversion, but think I will keep it for the next one as also waiting on an LSD unit so would like to use them together on the same build. That said, it would compliment the P&P and skim so this may change if the LSD arrives before I bolt the box on. :-)

Any updates on this, I'd really love to get my hands on that engine jig

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Any updates on this, I'd really love to get my hands on that engine jig
    Howdy. Sorry for not coming back to you, my bad. Mk1 is sat there ready to weld in the new mounts, will get them in by next weekend at latest and post the jig out then if ok? Will drop you a PM with my mobile number jic too. :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast