Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: JB's V6 build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excellent idea for the sticker. I'd take one of those

dont tell me the transplant god is having second thoughts? if it isnt any quicker i will have a heavy mantlepiece ornament :lol:

re-the driveshafts -does it matter if they are abs/non abs just had the ones that i bought arrive and 1 is and 1 isnt -thoughts? :)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    i dont think it matters al,the difference is an ABS ring on the CV joint,you can knock the ring off the CV so not a prob....as far as im aware (99%) the ABS and non ABS shafts are the same (length/diameter etc)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yeeeehaaaaa :lol: :lol: the V6 goes in from underneath with only the plenum and the offside suspension mount needing to be removed.
    There's no really tight spots, lowering the car slowly with the crane enables it to be swung into good position to clear the engine easily. I was amazed how easy it was :)
    Lifting the car to give 3 ft clearance and rolling the engine under in a narrow garage concentrates the mind :shock:
    Before putting the engine in I reinforced the chassis members with doubler plates but all the other pictures are self explanatory.

Happy old git :D

:) :D :P :lol: :lol:

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

superb JB! more room that i thought coming up from below...i didnt think it would come up that way at all ! now doesnt that look pretty sitting there?

Looks like it always belonged if you ask me.....i know its not mounted yet but its leaning back a tadge,you prob know that already....its the damn sump shape that causes it to sit like that,it has a slopey bottom so when you sit the engine on a flat surface it hangs back like that,so you might find it easier to put your crane on the engine now and let gravity hang it at the right angle for mounting.

That car of yours is super clean,so is the engine...its going to look superb.

So whats your next move?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yeah Paul I was looking at the angle last night, put the plenum on and found it a bit close to the lid. I felt it needed tilting so the plenum moves towards the back of the car and down, maybe 10mm. When you connected your cold start injector plug did that clear the lid?
    I have already got left right position sorted 6mm float each side, so once I get the angle right I will complete the mounts and plan the firewall so I can take the engine out and complete the bay. For now I will keep the engine lid and boot as is.
    What a great feeling seeing it sat in there :lol: :lol:

Don\'t look back!

yes there was loads of room between cold start injector and lid,i reckon i have 15mm between lid and highest engine point.

What you are ideally aiming for is a level looking inlet manifold,the bit with 3000 on it needs to sit fairly level from all angles.You also need to check the tops of the left and right engine mount blocks are level,i believe we discussed this one night on the phone,they should make the engine sit fairly level.Ignore the rocker cover angles and the sump base,they are all over the place,the levelish flat top of the inlet manifold is your best guide,it can rotate back a little further than it did in the camry.Remember the camry has a slopey bonnet with the highest point being at the rear of course.....we have a flat level bonnet so a little tilting back is needed.

Theres no hard and fast way to do it though,as long as it looks right it is right in my book....left to right is crucial as discussed and theres not much room front to back to play about really,ideally sat as far back as your driveshaft inner cv joints will allow before hitting the suspension mounts,i allow 20mm or so clearance here,this will help keep the driveshafts as straight as possible but they will still be angled back a smidge.

Ive a height reference pic if it helps with rotation and final engine height...

What a great feeling seeing it sat in there
    Just wait until it fires up! amazing sound from these v6's when attached to a manly exhaust system and not the girly camry one.

Thanks Paul for that info, as you say not a lot of room to play with but I think I have it about right now and will try to get mount plates made tomorrow. Have you got the rubber cheeks that fit either side of the offside mount or do you reckon I could omit them?
    I see you've put your roof back on :lol: :lol:

Don\'t look back!

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast