Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: JB's V6 build

Having been on holiday I've now got back to work.
    I stripped the rear suspension to fit a pair of Mk2 struts but found the shockers were knackered so instead bought a set of four KYBs. The rears are fitted and polybushes done + black smoothrite 8)
    I am going to try to fit the engine from underneath to find out if its possible. If it is it will mean it is possible to remove the engine and box together in future because, as Paul found, once the gearbox mount is welded in the box won't come out upwards. The only snag is that to get the engine in from underneath the suspension mounts need to be off cos they overlap into the bottom of the engine bay!

Although the engine was running sweetly it had some oil leaks, so I've replaced camshaft and front crank seals and cam cover gaskets. The cam covers were so clagged up I reckon it wasn't breathing properly so fingers crossed now its all been cleaned top and bottom.

I had picked up a new water pump off ebay recently?40 and new cambelt?3.75 so fitted those. The scaffold tube in the picture, after facing off on the lathe, was the perfect size for fitting all three oil seals.

To avoid having to cut a notch in the rear crossmember I am relocating the rear oxygen sensor into the downpipe just below the manifold so in the pic you can see the blanking plate to close the hole in the manifold. You can also see the casting which supports the driveshaft with the redundant rubber mount removed and the casting tidied up.

Next is fitting flywheel, clutch and gearbox, rebuild driveshafts and then try lifting car onto engine with 10mm clearance front/back :?

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

how are you going about the firewall- are you removing it like paul or are you just removing a small part?

thinking of keeping some of it if engine goes in from underneath but not sure how much - suck it and see :P
    if engine has to go in from top it will all have to go :lol:
    keep you posted

Don\'t look back!

yo Jb, that engine is looking rather attractive now :D and them mani flanges i saw back there.. luverly stuff regular mild or cast i?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Thanks Adam
    The flanges for Paul were MS, he's planning to weld his own pipes in.

Don\'t look back!

what do you have planned for your mk1 Jb, other than that there V6? let me recall!.. wilwood toasters.. corrado disc.. 15" alloys.. fidanza lightened ally fly.. ah...suspension.. forgive me for bieng rude ..i'm too inquisitive.. what have you planned suspension wise ? any other mods?..
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

in the top of your picture you have cleaned and painted the brackets that all the rear suspension bolts to. my nsr one has rusted through and i need to get a replacement but heres the problem - what are they called? i dont know what to ask for. anybody help? by the way didnt get that flywheel somebody wanted it more than me- will try on another one i found :(

Quote Originally Posted by lodgeman
    in the top of your picture you have cleaned and painted the brackets that all the rear suspension bolts to. my nsr one has rusted through and i need to get a replacement but heres the problem - what are they called? i dont know what to ask for. anybody help? by the way didnt get that flywheel somebody wanted it more than me- will try on another one i found :(
    Anyone with the toyota EPC cd should be able to give you the toyota part number. I will have a look tonight if no one else can help in the meantime.

Adam - wheels are 16" TSW Apex I don't think the Willwood/Corrado combi will fit under 15s. The only suspension change is KYB shocks all round, no lowering or stiffening because I need to get in car without my false hip dislocating or teeth dropping out :? No other changes yet; Its going to be a sleeper, so I can drive slowly out into the country on Sundays and sleep in it

Lodge - wait for it - its called a "suspension mount" :roll: :lol:
    Tough luck on the flywheel it looked a good un

Don\'t look back!

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast