Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel sizes for a mk2

Wheel sizes for a mk2

Personages, the stuff that gets caught up in your U-bend, ear wax and Tiggs. Anyone know what the max size you could have on the front and rear of a mk2. I'm looking at doing somebody work (well Paula is), I'd like so I something a bit different and I'm looking at flares. No not the trousers Paula wears to go out in but arches. The guy who is selling them says you can put a 10 inch wide rim on the front and 12's on the back. But what I'm thinking is either put my rears on the front 9 inch and try and source some rears like mine but in maybe 10 or 11's. But I don't know if this will knock all the handling to pot. Yes I know it's a mk2.

I don't want to go to big and stupid and I'm no too keen on putting too big a wheel spacer on either.

I am running 8.5 front and 10 rears . :-)

Are the 8 1/2's ok up front mate? Are you running with spacers on?

No spacers there about 5mm from coilovers I think offset is 25 I think I have to look and rear are 12 offset I think I look in morning :-)

And it handles ok mate?

Phillis, I believe the optimum you can go (provided you have coilovers) is et22 front and et25 rear. You will need spacers for any et value lower than that.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by MRV6 View Post
    And it handles ok mate?
    Yes mate :-) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Phillis, I believe the optimum you can go (provided you have coilovers) is et22 front and et25 rear. You will need spacers for any et value lower than that.
    Ok mate thanks, it's more if a 9 inch front wheel would look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Yes mate :-) :-)
    Nice one thanks.

I have a question that fits this topic-

I am shopping for wheels. The last car I built, had a nice set, already installed. I wrote down the tire sizes because I knew that I would be doing another one of these cars.

This is the car, you may remember it- the wheels had no spacers and filled out the wheel arch perfectly. No idea what size rims to buy and of course, everyone I've emailed over here in the states is a complete asshole, with most ignoring me altogether. (not that hard to do- haha)

The Front Tires were 215-35-18

The Rear Tires were 265-35-18

Now I know that the rim size is 18.
    I know the height of the tire is 35mm.
    The width is 215 on front and 265 on rear.

I know the bolt pattern is 5x114.3 or 5x4.5

It's the back spacing or offset I am concerned with. The suspension was completely stock. No changes from factory.

Does anyone know what rim specifications I need to get this same exact "look" with my new wheels? I think the front rims are different than the rears, I simply don't know what to choose when ordering online.

If I go into a tire dealer's shop, my rim & tire package would be over 2,000 USD. If I do it correctly- I should be able to get the set for around 1000.

Oh experienced and knowledgeable club, please tell me what I need....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast