Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weather hasnt been working with me. Got one day above freezing and now just hovering arround -20C.

Have been trying not to drive the car much because of the tiny stock exhaust. Ordered everything I need to make a 2.5" system. Excited to do some welding this weekend.

Got the exhaust done and took it for a drive. Sounds great, other than the booming during pedal off decel at 4krpm. Happy with it for $300.

Had some odd hesitation and battery going flat and ended up finding that the battery cable was arking against the starter body messing with the ignition and injection system.

After getting that fixed now I have some heat soak lean condition under high load that is leading to misfire. Seems like the fuel pump is on its way out but need to hook up the fuel pressure gauge again to confirm.

Got the fuel pressure gauge installed last night and it seems to confirm that the pump is going out. After repeated 2nd and 3rd gear pulls with good fuel pressure it starts to go lean. after a few more the fuel pressure drops to arround 20psi above 4krpm.

Got a mk2 turbo pump that I'm going to put in when I find time. Not looking forward to dropping the tank again but its nice to find what looks to be the final issue.

Tank drop isn't too bad a job. Did mine with the back end up and front skirts off for extra clearance. However, it may be just as simple doing it from one side. hardest part is recconecting all the pipes at the back of the tank.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Ya I dropped the tank before when I was putting the engine in but that was with the engine out. The filler neck hose is going to be a PITA with the engine in. Got it up on giant jackstands last night and all of the fuel drained. Ready to get it dropped next week.

Got the tank out and pulled the pump but the in tank mesh filter fell off when removing the pump. Had to rig up some needle nose pliers with screw taped on them to make them long enough to get to the bottom of the tank. Finally got the turbo pump in and went to put the tank back in the car when the large filler neck hose broke. Hopeing that the local autoparts store has a universal one that will work. The fuel tanks in these cars sure is a pain.

Ended up getting a new fuel filter and replacing the FPR. Runs great now. Need to get some videos at the next trackday.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast