Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

Stock mk1 unit that was already in the car.

oh dear methinks you need to up your fuel rate for this engine as with most swops to 1.8 or turbo,v6, or 2.0 need the pump uprating and some sort of fuel flow regulator installing.

I think jiff has found your gremlin.

If it was low flow wouldn't the fuel pressure drop under load? I can do a pull to redline in second gear and the fuel pressure stays pegged at 45psi and thats after the filter. The guy I bought it from ran his on the mk1 pump.

It also wont idle below 1500 so Im thinking maybe the idle air valve could be gunked up. Other causes could be the coolant temperature sensor. The gauge on the dash reads correct but I know some engines have a seprate coolant sensor for the ECU than the cluster. Any idea about rhe BEAMS?

Ordered a wideband setup today so hopefully that will help to diagnos my issue. It will at least rule some things out.

Got the wideband in and was running lean at idle and during idle racing. My thought was the AFM so checked that and man it was dirty. Tried to clean it but looked like some of the stuff was stuck to hot wire. Ended up getting a new one from a junkyard and threw it in. Took it for a drive after shoveling the snow out of the driveway and it felt great. During pulls in second gear it was running at 12.2 which is great for power enrichment level. Now just have to wrap up some loose ends and it will be done. They on to brake upgrade for next years trackdays. Also have to work on making an exhaust system because it doesn't feel like the tiny mk1 exhaust pipes are doing me an favors for power.

excellent news! what diameter exhaust you got at the moment?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

What ever stock 86 mk1 is. The headers and collector is redtop stuff but after the flex piece its all stock.

You're strangling that poor engine!!! even a standard 2.0 litre back box would be an improvement!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

How hard would it be to get a factory mk2 turbo exhaust on there? Plan is to make a 2.25" custom system but have to get my MIG working again for that.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast