Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

Ya talked to the seller and same thing he told me. Also figured out that the tach needs a different resistor on the back of the cluster.

Got the axles in tonight and went to reassemble the ball joint to the knuckle and had some resistance on one of the bolts. Look in there and one of the threads has a big bur on it. Hoping I can chase it out with a tap tomorrow because I don't want to drill and re-tap that.

would have thought the tacho would be ok - its the same number of cylinders after all....
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Its not a counter issue like with the V6 it has to do with this engine being newer and using coil on plug so it has a low voltage tach signal. Guy I bought the engine from is sending me a MSD tach converter box that will fix it.

Got the rear suspension back together and the gear box oil filled. The fluid that came out was some of the nastiest I have seen

The list of remaining items before first drive is getting shorter everyday.
    -Repair and mount exhaust
    -Run throttle cable and tuck battery cable
    -modify LH shifter cable
    -Bleed clutch

oh the joy of the clutch bleed...... If you haven't got a vacuum bleeder, I'd suggest picking one up!

Hours of endless joy and massive leg muscles if you haven't got a clutch bleeder.

Just a thought, have you relocated the battery?

Tried to bleed it yesterday with a vacuum bleeder yesterday and kept getting air and fluid. Checked all of the lines and no leaks.

Yep battery relocation was the first thing I did. Tonight got the exhaust repaired/remounted, throttle cable run and shifter cable almost done. Still need to

-Bleed clutch :(
    -cut and extend throttle cable end
    -secure hoses with ziptie
    -shift cable extend finish

Got everything done tonight. Made the shifter cable extension and did a long clutch bleed. Got it on the ground and it wouldn't go into gear because clutch wasn't disengaging. Spent another 30mins bleeding the clutch and still didn't fix it. Noticed there was some looseness in the pedal so adjusted the shaft and that fixed it. Got it on the ground and when for a drive and the engine was a complete dog with slow response and no power. Took it back to the garage and found that I had broken the TPS when installing the engine. Luckily it looks like almost every 4cly Toyota engine in the late 90s uses the same TPS so I can get one tomorrow at the parts store.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast