1234567 ...

thread: MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    If the tank is out, I would swap the whole thing out.

Anything else would be less reliable than the original plumbing.

C.

Sep 2011
    Pinckney MI
    Decided to use a really good compression fitting that we use at work. Will have to do a good leak check after installed but should be no problem. Also finished removing all of the AC system and the AC line hole made a good place for my remote battery cable. :)

Sep 2011
    Pinckney MI
    Made some good progress today. Finished a bit of cleaning and then got the new engine hung. Need to go out and get the fluids tomorrow, targeting first start tomorrow.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Awesome engine bay shot.

And I think you're making not look easy.........

:)

Sep 2011
    Pinckney MI
    Made more good progress today. Got both the torque mounts in and all of the wiring done. Also mounted the battery in the front trunk. Got most of the coolant and heater hoses cut and in. Had two problems the first was that the guy I bought the engine from didn't include the Mk2 axle nuts but I didn't notice until I tried to but on the Mk1 ones. Also went to connect the shifter cables and the seller may have sent the wrong mk2 cables. So the seller only sent one mk2 cable and it was the one with the threaded end that attaches to the gear lever shaft. Can someone confirm what shifter cables are needed for the S series trans in a mk1?

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    Standard mk1 cables, but we generally modify them at the shifter end.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Sep 2011
    Pinckney MI
    I was thinking about cutting the shaft part and threading both cut ends then install a internally threaded shaft. Thoughts?

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    Yup, that's exactly what we do - search a few of the build threads, you'll see the variations :)

Sep 2011
    Pinckney MI
    It lives!

It smoked for a bit after this but then it cleared up so I'm think just some oil that got where it shouldn't have been during shipping. There are two things not working the oil pressure gauge and the tachometer. Any ideas what could cause both of those? Now I just need to get the throttle cable sorted, axles in and the shifter cable modified.

Jul 2005
    Milk and Beans
    Oil pressure gauge needs swapping from the 4age - it gives a pressure reading as opposed to the on/off the 3s variants have.

1234567 ...

•