Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

MST Engineer BEAMS 1.5 Swap

Getting ready to start my 1.5 swap on my 86 so I figured I should start a thread for it. Car is a for the most part rust free 86 with 120k miles with in Michigan is near unheard of. Have owned the car for 4 months and loved every minute. Since I have owned it I have done the below to improve the and prepare for the swap.

-Poly bushing all around
    -Front and rear ball joints
    -Rear toe links and front tie rod ends
    -Sparco wheel
    -MK3 spyder wheels with Potenza RE-11A
    -EBC Yellowstuff pads

I was originally planning on a V6 swap but after contacting mr220v on mr2 forums that changed. He told me he was selling his BEAMS greytop swap that was in his 86 and the price was just too good to pass up. Engine came with custom mounts, swap harness, s51 trans, Mk2 NA axles and custom exhaust so it is plug and play. Right now just getting my other car in order and ready for winter. Plan is to start the next swap this month and finish after a few weekends work.

The MR2 at its first trackday

Waiting for its engine

The BEAMS engine with redtop header

Front battery holder in the works

The winter car that I just bought last month

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Beams Mk1, excellent, although you'll always get those saying for the same amount of work you can have 100bhp more with the GTE, it will be good to see one of these finally getting built :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Love it! I don't care what they build, as long as they build mk1's!

Beams should be a nice screamer... What's the difference between red and grey tops then?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

One more for the beams club!

Nice one and at least it's a great upgrade other than the sc 18vvti 2zz .

And I'm happy another mk1 is still on the roster of how many left . Com

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon View Post
    Love it! I don't care what they build, as long as they build mk1's!

Beams should be a nice screamer... What's the difference between red and grey tops then?
    The main difference is the header in the greytop has an extra cat so thats why this one has a redtop header. Some people say that the engine tune is slightly different but no one can confirm it.

I like the idea of more power but I think a light car with rear weight bias is better with a NA power curve. I want the car to be faster but keep its character and mid corner adjustability and I think the on/off boost of the 3SGTE would upset the balance.

The BEAMS 3S-GE is such a sweeter engine than the GTE, and with the S-series gearbox, it should weigh a chunk less as a package. And as you say, power delivery is much more suited to a mid-engined car IMO. No reason why a solid 220hp isn't on the cars with a healthy engine and good ECU.

Just fixed some issues with the Subaru so the swap for the MR2 starts this week :)

Quote Originally Posted by MST Engineer View Post
    I like the idea of more power but I think a light car with rear weight bias is better with a NA power curve. I want the car to be faster but keep its character and mid corner adjustability and I think the on/off boost of the 3SGTE would upset the balance.
    You are amongst friends here then - nice upgrade !

Quote Originally Posted by Rosssco View Post
    and good ECU.
    Are you going to use the stock ECU or wire in an aftermarket MST?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast