Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 330mm brakes - Too big for a Mk2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

330mm brakes - Too big for a Mk2?

I've removed my AP Racing brakes from my Mondeo ST220 as I'm selling the car. They are 330mm discs with calipers. Too large to be used do you think? Will it massively alter the braking balance? Or should I flog them and get something else?
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

What's the PCD on a ford?

I imagine the size isn't an issue if you are going for 17" minimum wheels. But it depends on what caliper you're going to hang off there?

I've gone Supra 323mm discs, fit straight on, obviously with different calipers to stock.

Ford is usually 4x100 4x/108

I can get new bells to fit the discs and hub. it's more a case of will it be over braked?

I would not consider putting that much braking force on the front without addressing the rear also.

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    I would not consider putting that much braking force on the front without addressing the rear also.
    Agreed, the front and rear has to be done simultaneously, or do whole system upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Agreed, the front and rear has to be done simultaneously, or do whole system upgrades.
    quite so, you'll make it worst by having the front lock up earlier. A local here has precisions bbk up front with puny stock rears and it's dangerous especially during the rain as it amplifies the issue. Even my setup is not w/o fault but i keep it under control by modulating the pedal (i don't have abs).

Probably more hassle than its worth figuring it all out?

Not really, despite what people say about the stock brakes working perfectly fine (they do), they still seize more times than I care to remember.

Refurbished units have lasted 2 years, seals fail, pins rust and seize, piston housing outer lip corrodes and seizes, handbrake mechanism seizes, pad locating cutouts corrode and seize the pad solid. Maybe this can be averted by stripping and cleaning the brakes every year, but for a road car I fail to see that it is necessary to do that.

I'm going completely 911 all round as they have a very similar weight bias to a Mk2, combined with a Brembo spot caliper. Some people don't think it's the best and a lot of work for little gain. But then after about 6 or 7 refurbed calipers and another 4 or 5 stripped/cleaned over 10 years of ownership it can't be much more expensive/ball ache to complete.

I've been doing some reading up on the cause and effect of a front BBK, and seeing what other similar cars such as the Elise/Exige do. Quite tempted to fit them now, obviously just need to upgrade the rears to match. Might need to get my calculator out though.... Will wait until I've got my 2GRFE running first though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast