Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3VZ-FE Head Skimming & Compression Ratios

That's the thing Adam, I don't think anyone has ever tinkered with a 3VZ in the ways that Pat is planning, certainly not published anyway.

I'm still in favour of the suck it and see method. We cod always inspect the timing pulleys later and modify as required. I've got loads....

C.

why not! a couple of blown HG's at the max ! assuming everything checked / hole pitch's / collisions.. stroke on tensioner, nothing ventured...
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Right then. Finally got the heads on the bench, currently in the process of porting them (Just about to start the build thread) then they will be going for skimming.

I have taken some rough measurements and by all accounts skimming the heads by 1mm will retain the non-interference and won't cause any issues that I can see *but* I need to go back through and double check just to be 100%. If I'm not 100% sure then I'll go with a 0.5mm skim, but once I've double checked (Will post the numbers and dimensions up here) if still ok will go for the 1mm skim. If I can get my hands on a tidy snakecam/borescope then will bolt a head on with a few valves missing so I can fit the camera inside through the ports.

Spiffing. You can borrow my scope, usb but does the job!

You could also try the putty method - put some on a piston, bolt a head on, turn the cam so the bucket is fully depressed, then turn the engine.

Disassemble and inspect.

C

Ok on scope. Can you post down to me?

Will try putty method as well at same time. I only need to get the scope inside one chamber, so will stuff some putty or something in the other.

Yeah sure.

It's got drivers for XP, runs under W7 native drivers. Gets installed as a twain compliant device so you can view the feed in anything and take snaps.

Just make sure you wash it.

:)

Just a randomish thought re the cam timing thing if it's still a concern. A couple of passes with a dremel through the knock pin hole of the cam pulley (plus some position marks on each camshaft and pulley) and you've got a homebrew vernier pulley setup. Or you could weld up the existing hole and drill a new one.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Liking that plan...

To be honest I'm not too concerned if I only do a 0.5mm skim but if I do a 1mm skim then the 1 degree out of sync could partly counteract the positive effect of the heads so defo worth addressing.

Do like the idea of grinding and welding or doing a DIY adjustable cam...

With the cam pulleys, if they weren't balanced would that have any affect on the cams? Wondering it it would cause any damage due to any additional vibrations, etc? :-/

Oh and I've got spare cam pulleys too.

The holes are close to the centre, drilling / welding won't upset them. Perhaps it's time look at making an actual adjustable set?

C.

Might pinch some off you. Dunno if they need to be balanced though?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast