Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential guide?

Potential guide?

Hey guys,

In the stages of planning my progress for an upcoming Mk1.5 project here. I have seen in my research a reference or two to very detailed write ups and was wondering if there were still existing links to these pages? All the one's I find seem to be dead. I've been reading everyone else's build logs and doing the best I can to plan everything out, even though I am still looking for a car to buy.

The only problem I am currently running into is the engine mounts themselves. I can understand I need to get rid of the old mounts and weld in new ones, but the barrier I seem to hit is whether anyone is still producing brackets that I can buy, or do I need to go and get some fabricated elsewhere which I can then weld in? All the leads I seem to have followed to far are really outdated.

I think that's everything so far but I will be continuing to raid the forum for more information and asking about as and when I need to.

Thanks for any help.

I'm sure a guide will be posted shortly but you should contact this fella: http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/member.php?4328-Lee-H

He will shortly have a Mk1 forsale with the 3S mounts already in.

That would make things a lot easier. Does anyone know anything about the car or do I need to ask him myself? Interested in colour and roof type, and general condition of the rest of the car, ie rust.

Thanks.

I'm in the middle of doing mounts... see here:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...5-Swap!/page21

You can do the mounts yourself with an angle grinder and some sheet steel. Wont be quick, but its possible...

Always buy the newest least rusty mk1 you can find if its got rusty arches walk away or budget for a £400 arch repair both sides and a respray.

Engine bracket templates are in down loads but you have to be a big member to access these..

That's what I was thinking of in terms of buying a base car.

Well I'm not a big member but I could see some brackets in the downloads already? Am I to assume these were the wrong ones?

There is quite a wealth of information all over the place so that's why I turned here. Any idea of the rough cost of getting brackets produced?

Edit:
    Looks like I will need the jig after all, I was trying to get around doing it with an engine crane, but not too sure how viable this is...

Harrison, I currently have the jig, but its owned by Phaeton on here. Give him a shout regarding rental!

Tommy, are we certain that it can't be done in a roundabout way using the engine on a hoist?

Bearing in mind I don't even have the car yet and am just trying to plan ahead. What is the waiting list like for the jig, and how much to borrow it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast