Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MK3 2GR handling issues

After getting the car back from the local garage i noticed due to the bodykit the car is set quite high and on further investigation the tein coilovers aren't the same as the BC ones in the way that they are adjusted,to raise the ride height the spring has to be compressed, i'm assuming this would affect the handling,can someone confirm this and if thats the case lowering it should improve the handling

Yes the teins you adjust the spring , but some are the same as the bc you set preload on spring then adjust the the whole shocker through the hub bracket .:-)
    Last edited by headcase; 21-08-2013 at 20:41.

Lowering doesn't always improve the handling. It can mess up the suspension geometry,you can even have the car rolling or bumping to toe out depending on the original geometry and how drastically you have altered it.

Has it been lowered a lot? i presume the spring rates are for the mk3 in standard form, how much heavier is the 2gr , is it positioned much differently etc? these will all have an effect
    Racing Engines, Engine and Gearbox rebuilds, bespoke parts design. manufacture and fabrications. www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk

Not sure of the spring rates as they were on the car when i bought it,i assume they are a lot stiffer than standard, the coilovers are set as high as possible because the bodykit sits low which means the springs are compressed, i guess the only way to find out is to lower them,fit the standard suspension or the BC coilovers,i don't know what suspension other conversions are running but no one has reported having these issues

I raised it up when I first got it Mike. Yes, completely due to the bodykit. They have been in that configuration ever since. yes, it would affect the spring rates, but the handling was fine in its PE turbo on the 1zz configuration and also the 3VZ-FE. I obviously had to have the geo set up after the V6 conversion , as the cross member had been off and the settings would have been out. It was superb after that and I never experienced any wayward handling. It almost sounds like one of the suspension arms has a worn bush or isn't located fully. One of the ROC members had a bout of odd handling recently with steering all over the place and it turned out it was his adjustable rear suspension arms going loose from their settings. Have any adjustable arms been put on? I'm assuming they haven't.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Good suggestions Nige, although i've triple checked all of the suspension arms and joints/bolts already before the car went, i've also asked Mike to check the rear hubs for play (the geo place should have picked up on this anyway).

I still think it must be something like a shocker issue, as Mk3s handle really well even with a 2gr installed.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123