Thread: Gearbox oil cooler

Gearbox oil cooler

this is just to show Dan and anyone else who's interested what I intend to do for a gearbox oil cooler

I need to block off one of the old inlets, and tap a new fitting in pointing downward to make for tidier piping runs. This should be very simple, all you need to do is cut the old loop on the front of the gearbox, so there are 2 short straight pipes coming out, flare the ends slightly, get some suitable sized flexible oil tubing, connect them up, and viola! lower gearbox oil temps :) Theoretically there should be a reasonable amount of airflow through it too. I will tie some ribbon to it once the car is going to test this though :)

Interesting :)

I had a look and the pipes are there on my rev 3, they are just metric fitment so I'll get some braided hose made up.
    Dan Johnson
    89 AW11 ... My swap diary
    ex 1994 ST205 WRC ... http://www.st205.net

yes well, if you're not a poor university student then I suppose that is an option :P

hehe I'm gonna do it myself, apparently it's not that difficult, you just need the corect cutting wheel to do it. Not those posh aerospace fittings either - 25 quid for a 90 degree fitting? They have got to be joking.
    Dan Johnson
    89 AW11 ... My swap diary
    ex 1994 ST205 WRC ... http://www.st205.net

yeah fittings are a freaking rip off
    got some for the braided oil feed for the turbo on my st185 (mmmm k3t) and it was ridiculous. Haven't found a good online source for them yet, so I have to go through a local "speed shop" and they are absolute ripoff merchants

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    malcolm are you going to fit a toms scoop onto that? it would actually give the scoop a function in life instead of being an ornament!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

i hadn't planned on it, don't want to mess with the natural in the bottom(and side), out the top airflow characteristics of the engine bay