Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOT time again.

MOT time again.

So I charged my battery and the two fired up second time of asking. Took her for a blast to see if there was anything I could see, hear, feel that might cause me MOT issues. Sticking rear calliper, freed up a bit after a few miles. The rest of the car seemed faster than usual, thanks to the modified ECU board from Jon Sole. Spanked everything on the road. Got home and my neighbour says... Your car smells hot, you been ragging it? I checked the temp gauge and it is approaching the H for hot, shit... Pulled on the drive and it is trying to boil the expansion tank dry... Pants... Left it to cool. Cancelled MOT tomorrow.

How do you test for a stuck thermostat?

Anything else it could be?

Needs fixing for JAE...

Remove the thermostat, stick it in a pan on the gas cooker.

Bring up the temp. It should open at 82 degrees (or whatever is on it).

I would bleed it first, just in case......

c.

Thanks big fella, I take it I can take it out in situ?

U can get to the thermostat but it is rather awkward place to reach.. I think it might be easier from under the car .. or perhaps remove the drive side inspection panel and look down close to alternator. U should see the pipe there .
    Pain in arse job..
    Might be worth checking for air locks in system first.. could be an air lock causing the coolant to boil and over flow..
    Also what was the heaters like when it overheated. Were u getting any heat inside the car?

Check the fans are coming on and airlocks first then rad cap and then have a look at the thermostat.

Just a thought, but I had same problem before but it was a dodgy rad cap. The rubber looked ok but it was rock hard and wasn't sealing.

To be honest I thought it was ok, but Nerys father had a look and said its you're rad cap, so ordered on eBay and problem solved. :-)

Worth a check methinks. I can post one up tomorrow first class if you need ASAP? Just PM me your address. :-)

Thanks guys will have a look into those things.

The heat had started to come into the car a few miles in so I flicked the temperature slider to blue then though nothing else of it.

The whole system does need flushing and I have a new long coolant hose to fit so maybe it is a good time to do both.

Very kind offer Pat but I will get one ordered if you send me a link :)

Sorry, forgot to get the link and just remembered.

http://bit.ly/195Cglf

Think that should work. :-)

Thanks Pat, ordered :-)

Okay so spent some time yesterday bleeding the system, it definitely needs a flush but hopefully this episode will be like an unplanned internal steam clean. Anyway, took the car for a spin and she behaved beautifully, she does get a notch or two warmer when hooning but does just settle back down.
    After my run I checked the rad and part of it, maybe two lines in total have collapsed so I will be upgrading to an alloy one sharpish. Thanks again for your help fellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast