Thread: MK3 super/turbo charged

MK3 super/turbo charged

Hello, I'm new here & think this is the place to be asking the following questions!

I recently sold a 520bhp Evo6, and would like something different, a MK3. I know that sort of power from a MK3 standard engine is a tall ask, I don't want 6/8 cylinder engines.

I'd like to get a mk3 MR2, what 4 cylinder engine options are available to fit pretty simply in the MK3?
    I would like around 350 bhp (@ fly) which must be reliable and quiet (for motorways), as a daily driver (although just a toy).
    Any ECU considerations? The intercooler would be a roof mount (RS200 replica).

I have only just started learning about the MR2 so excuse my ignorance, there is a lot to take in (chassis codes, engine codes)!

Many thanks, Nads.

You have two choices as far as I can see

1) 2grfe - v6 engine with 365bhp absolutely brutal from start to finish!! These are expensive though and is a 6 cylinder

2) 3sgte - there were many revisions of these ad can be found in both the mk2 turbo and the celixa gt4. Models from 1995 onwards came with roughly 271bhp from factory. 350bh is achievable but will come at a price - forged internals, up rated fuelling sustem, bigger turbo (ct20b is the preferred choice over the stock ct26) bigger ic etc etc. if your willing to spend the money there are those that have achieved 500bhp but its alot of work.

As I say that's my opinion. You could always look at alternative options but that's a good start. Remember when liking for a turbo engine you will need a full clip. It will all be there you will just have to mod it to fit, the 2gr has a few home built guides on here already so you have a good starting point. Have a read around see what's what.

Most importantly seek a ride in both v6 and turbo, the power delivery is completely different!!!!

Either way welcome to the club

Only a 3sgte conversion and then one that's a rev 3 will get you 300bhp but a 350 bhp reliable turbo 4 pot will cost you quite a bit to go fully forged.

A 2zz sc would get you 250bhp like Paul's recently converted mk3?

Why are you against a v6 2gr its just a bit heavier and is 325bhp roughly out the box and has oodles of torque, most mk3 owners that have had the conversion at Paul's rave over the engine.

Thank you both for your feedback, it's most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2karl_tbar View Post
    Most importantly seek a ride in both v6 and turbo, the power delivery is completely different!!!!
    I think I need to!

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Why are you against a v6
    I just love the boost of a turbo, but being used to 2bar, maybe I should look at a V6, it may be more reliable at higher power. The weight was not a factor, I've had V8 performance cars and turbo 4 pots, never actually been in a performance 6 pot though.

Hmmm, definitely food for thought. I'll have to do some research, as I'll be selling my comfortable/modern/reliable BMW to fund it!

Well I've had high power v8 supercharged fords and a rover v8 twin turbo, plus a few four pot ford cossie powered cars and a few vauxhall turbo 4 pots in the 80s and 90s, and I can quite honestly say nothing prepares you for the 2grs vicious torque and bhp launch in such a lite car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nads1978 View Post
    The intercooler would be a roof mount (RS200 replica).
    And what about when you fold the roof down? Or are you saying your building an Rs200 replica from the Mk3?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon View Post
    And what about when you fold the roof down? Or are you saying your building an Rs200 replica from the Mk3?
    Got it in one Mr. Lemon, will be a hard top, with RS200 roof skin bonded to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2karl_tbar View Post
    1) 2grfe - v6 engine with 365bhp
    Let's be a bit more realistic. 300-325 depending on exhaust diameter.

If you love boost you can get more from a 3s-GTE but I urge you to try a v6 for its torques and delivery