Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: build thread and custom parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

build thread and custom parts

as in description, stripping down the front end to blast and paint the suspension components, took the spring of the strut and discovered that the upper spring seat (below the top mount is rotten and has also collapsed, looking for a pair of them (the top mount bearings are in good nick, just the spring seats), cash waiting,

Many Thanks,
    Mark

I'm actually having thoughts now about doing a coil over conversion, cutting of the spring seat of the strut and welding on threaded tube then making alloy spring seats on the lathe and then I can use coilover springs to the right weight/length

any thoughts

Have a read of this :thumbsup:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Yep, I did this too!!!
    JFDI

Mk1a are the same give this guy a ring hes got loads of mk1a and b suspension legs 07525142359

very interesting read, im very confident that I could make everything required for this if I decided to go ahead, I would defo cut the old spring seat of and weld on the threaded tube, making the upper and lower spring seats shouldn't be too tricky either on the lathe, I would dare say I would make the threaded tube aswell, 2.25" or 2.5" springs seem like the way to go, I read on a website somewhere that 4kg/mm springs for the front are pretty optimal fro the aw11, its just a case of whether I can really be bothered lol

ps is it possible to have this moved out of for sale wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by inglismark View Post
    ps is it possible to have this moved out of for sale wanted?
    Done! nice work on the turning work.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

well the tiniest bit of progress, cut the spring seat off and got some 304 stainless from a local friendly engineers, made a wee jig to support the end of the tube and turned the threads

and

and

its a start anyway
    Last edited by inglismark; 03-07-2013 at 21:46.

Quote Originally Posted by inglismark View Post
    well the tiniest bit of progress, cut the spring seat off and got some 304 stainless from a local friendly engineers, made a wee jig to support the end of the tube and turned the threads

and

and

its a start anyway
    Is that a Boxford lathe you have?

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast