Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crazy Bastard Project

Well that's not a mould then? If it is then you're talking about applying material on top of a gel coat after you've fitted the parts to the car?

Well actually I'm assuming that you're laying up a gel coat inside the finished cardboard mould and then building on that to strengthen it.

And I'm basing this on how i build a canoe from a mould.

c.

Quote Originally Posted by snoball View Post
    so for the final pieces take away the cardboard and then imagine if you can the glass work left behind
    It's a good explanation Donna but what I can't fathom out is how the cardboard can be removed and leave a smooth surface for moulding inside.

Surely it will leave fibrous residue that has become part of the mould and can't be polished out.
    Last edited by Torero; 16-12-2013 at 12:35.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Well it's as clear as a muddy stick to me so I will await the rolling out of garage picture

Alan...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    Well it's as clear as a muddy stick to me so I will await the rolling out of garage picture

Alan...
    Haha that's the one I'm most excited to see too, it puts my whole project in one picture and I will be able to make more changes

I have resin!!! Ok it's only a litre but a litre is a litre!!!!!

Messing??!!!

I have just planned a very expensive yet rewarding journey ;) ;) ;)

Don't get me wrong here. We understand it. We just don't really get it. :/

All I can say is it better be awesome when it's finished. And I'm talking as awesome as Batman. On Ice. With Lasers.

c.

Lol for all the work I'm putting into this it had better be as awesome as you just wrote mate!

I have every faith in myself that it will but I do have to get there first obviously

Ok so all joking aside now.

Chris's words are probably best here, what is that you guys don't get? In happy to answer any questions here to help you all see where I'm coming from and where I'm going.

Okay, so if you're making a mould from something simple like a bonnet scoop for example, you're going to want something near perfect to make an item from.

So you take an impression of the item you are going to copy / make, then build your item inside it:-

Starting with a smooth gel coat (so the item you make has a flat finish) and backed with resin and mesh to give it shape and rigidity. If it was a bonnet scoop, you should then have a scoop that you could plop on a bonnet and feather in. It would have a smooth exterior and just need a bit of light flatting off and then some paint slapped on.

If i understand what Donna is describing, you're going to have some rough panels that you will then pile more material on, and that still isn't going to be a paint-able finish.

If you look at something like this:-

These are moulds that you could make a fibreglass wing out of for example. It has a smooth finish so whatever you mould will also be smooth (in theory).

Here's another link i found, which fits in more with what i mean etc:-

http://www.donjarrs-place.com/07-how-to-fibreglass

I don't understand your path from cardboard to finished body parts that you can fix to a car.

Perhaps i lack vision!

c.
    Last edited by cdwood2010; 16-12-2013 at 17:45.