Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: may have made a mistake....

the box *should* be fine, even if ran with no oil provided you do as suggested and throw a load in it flush, then refill.

As the dark lord says, most of the box does turn in neutral, but gears actually get ran dry during the manufacture stage, for mesh and tolerance checking. good chance you will be fine with residual oil coating.

For reference, i drove a getrag 300 miles with NO oil in it, and it lived with a top up. ;)

Well.... I filled it up this evening.

There is still a slight whine, tho it didnt go this time with the clutch down, increased with rev's so i dunno.
    Theres also now a very funny kinda chattering sound... not a constant thing.. plays out like a funny kinda rhythm.
    Def seem to be coming from the gearbox area and werent there last time.
    Dunno what to think of it, know sod all about gearboxes.

What's the expert opinion...

F**ked ?

We need a vid slick 50 gearbox treatment some times works, but post a vid near the box.

Have you got a six puck clutch and a trd LSD ?

As both chatter from cold normaly depressing the clutch quite s the noise.

I'll try take a vid tonight and then scratch head working out how to get it into here, lol

It's just a standard clutch, the old heap weren't worth fitting anything special.
    Noise is always there regardless of clutch, tho that needs bleeding, but it does operate

Or... could it be to do with the clutch,
    as (I'm not 100% but) I don't remember hearing the chatter till after I tried
    moving the car up n down the drive.
    Did it disengage completely/properly?

You will have to excuse my ignorance, I'm new
    to this, lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post

F**ked ?
    Well that's the Technical Term ..........

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post

F**ked ?
    Not quite fubar is the acronym for this situation.

Update.

Had a quick go at bleeding the clutch.. what fun.
    Daughter got fed up helping (cant blame her, lol) so i gave up after getting nowhere and will go and buy one
    of those one man (so called easy) bleed kits.
    Anyone ever used the one that connects to the tyre and uses it for pressure?
    Sounds like it could be the easiest choice.

Anyway.. after wasting time at this...i got in car, noticed the clutch now has no resistance at all and obviously cant select a gear.
    Started it up.. and NO noise at all.
    The whine has gone from the box.. which is good news.
    BUT.. once the engine got up to temp the chattering type sound came back.. but it seems to be from the valve train.. NOT the box as I first thought.
    Its annoying.. but its hardly a brand new spanking engine.. so i guess I can forgive it something.

So.. hopefully.. once I've bled the clutch.. all might be well.
    Aside some noises lifters.. tho its a weird one.. not quite the constant clatter you normally hear, at least not when at idle.

Mine clattered for a bit after I put oil in it, but the noise goes away eventually.

Personally I wouldn't worry about noises unless something stops working.

I've got one of those clutch kits that connects to a tyre valve, not used it yet but the word is that they are pretty good.

The mr2 clutch is a total bugger to bleed normally. I've had a one man kit and three people on it. My missus got fed up of joining in the fun eventually!

Chris.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast