thread: may have made a mistake....

Nov 2011
    Lancashire

may have made a mistake....

Hi,
    ain't been on here for awhile.. as winter put a stop to working on the car.
    But made a start to finish the V6 swap recently.

anyway.. after making the exaust and fitting it up this morning, i naturally started it up to have a listen like.
    Must say.. quite happy with the sound.. not too loud but certainly don't sound like a standard mr2

anyway... while i was there and the car being a bit quieter now.. i thought i might as well bleed the coolant system.
    so, I spent some time doing this... pretty much got there.. but here's the problem....

sitting in the car i started to hear a whine... hmm
    put the clutch down and it stopped..
    Engine off.... realising I ain't filled the gearbox up with fluid yet!!
    And here's me with it sitting there running away for god knows how long!

Ya think it will be alright once i fill the damn box up, or have a screwed it up.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    You haven't put it in gear so it should be ok if there's residual oil, fill it up with cheap oil run around for 10 miles or so drop the gearbox oil refill with good stuff.

That's what I would do.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    The input shaft will still have been turning Tiggs, regardless of wether it is in gear or not, the only thing that stops that turning is pressing the clutch. Fair chance of input bearing failure, the whine was coming from somewhere.... they don't whine for nothing. Fill with oil and take it from there, you have nothing to lose.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2012
    Geordieland
    Ah well .......... at least you didn't drive it for three miles with no oil in the engine ... :(

Nov 2011
    Lancashire
    hmm, iv'e probably shagged it up.
    And the worst thing is... its a bloody replacement itself!!

Still.. i guess there's a chance it might quieten down and be "OK" for awhile once its got some bloody oil in it.
    What a dick, completely forgot i hadn't done it.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    I did the same thing, left a Two running to warm it up one winters day to try and dry the car out. Forgot I had only put about a litre in the gearbox (before realising that's all I had).

Must have been sat there three hours ticking over. I got in the car and I could hear a noise, thought it was the thrust bearing until it dawned on me.

Turned it off, went and bought done more oil and filled it up proper.

The noise actually went away gradually. Once it had gone it was back to being quiet again. It never gave me any trouble after that.

As The Dark Lord said, nothing to lose, get some oil in there and cross your fingers!

Chris.

Nov 2011
    Lancashire
    Least you had some oil in there, lol

Gives me a little hope tho, really don't wanna have
    to fit another box.
    Ordered some oil tonight, fingers, toes, legs and arms all crossed.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    The input shaft will still have been turning Tiggs, regardless of wether it is in gear or not, the only thing that stops that turning is pressing the clutch. Fair chance of input bearing failure, the whine was coming from somewhere.... they don't whine for nothing. Fill with oil and take it from there, you have nothing to lose.
    Yep the input shafts turning but if you engage the gears your going to naff up the synchros and bearings gears as well hope fully he's only destroyed or niped up the shaft needle rollers, as we both said chuck oil in and see if it goes away, my idea was cheap oil would clear out any swarf or metal particules then stick some good heavy gear oil in.

Sorry if my post didn't get all that across the first time my bad I had brain set on I know this so every one else should know it mode, and not set on explain it like mr woods would for those who've never worked on a gearbox before mode .

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Not quite, the input shaft is full of synchros and bearings as well, both input and output shafts are the same in this respect, you would need to drive the car for the output to turn. I do know the bell housing input shaft bearing does not like running dry for extended periods, the rear one is much more sturdy.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Once again my master has schooled me on the ways of the force mechanic lol.

•