Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about another 3.6 swap

Thinking about another 3.6 swap

Hi all

As you all can see I am new on this forum, have been on Spyderchat.

Anyways, I am currently running a turbo 1zz SMT and it had been good at times but as everyone here knows MR2 is not an MR2 if things don't break. So un/fortunately the SMT I think is pretty much gone, after having selected two gears on the track... now I want something reliable but also have the potential for more power (currently 185kw).

After reading alot of builds around the globe it seems that most people are converting for road cars and the engine is mounted horizontally. Now I want to convert to v6 for the track and mount the engine longitudinal for more potential for power down the track, like twin turbo maybe....

Now before I start, I wanted to know your opinions and suggestions on the viability of this project and what sort of transaxle I can get to mate with the engine, and please bear in mind that I am located in Aus, we don't get too many stuff here.

Thanks in advance.

2gr for the win in aus and if you find a supercharged version aurion buy it like its arse was on fire.

Welcome to TwoBrutal!

Longitudinal eh? Sounds interesting! But as Tiggs says, have you looked at the plentiful (in Oz anyway) 2GR-FE engine?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    2gr for the win in aus and if you find a supercharged version aurion buy it like its arse was on fire.
    Sure if I can find one....

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Welcome to TwoBrutal!

Longitudinal eh? Sounds interesting! But as Tiggs says, have you looked at the plentiful (in Oz anyway) 2GR-FE engine?

C.
    yeah we can get one for around $3000 with all the looms and stuff. But I think the hard thing will be finding a gearbox for it longitudinally

Why do you need it to be longditdinal ? It works with an e153 turbo box has loads of grunt and you can big bore it and lower the cr then fit a single big turbo.

Why do you need it to be longditdinal ? It works with an e153 turbo box has loads of grunt and you can big bore it and lower the cr then fit a single big turbo.
    well, first its the weight distribution that I am worried about think its going to be 30/60. second heat issues maybe being everything so tight and lastly north south will provide more room on either side for twin turbos later.

Anyways, there are abundant 2grs in OZ but unfortunately shortfall of cost effective transmission, even the e153. So what are my options in transmission??? Can I use the porsche boxster transmission??? is it strong enough???

alternatively have to ship it in...

Have a look at Paul's v8 mk1 thread you would need full Audi v8 and obd gearbox but the rs4 v8 had 425bhp and there is a twin turbo kit and supercharger kit for the Audi to bump power to 600+bhp.

Doubt an adapter exists to bolt a 2gr to a Porsche transmission.

I'd go for Audi v6 with Ob1 box or Boxster engine and box (you'll never get a Boxster down to a tonne)

Have a look at Paul's v8 mk1 thread you would need full Audi v8 and obd gearbox but the rs4 v8 had 425bhp and there is a twin turbo kit and supercharger kit for the Audi to bump power to 600+bhp.

Doubt an adapter exists to bolt a 2gr to a Porsche transmission.
    Audi engines here in Oz is too expensive, that would be cool though image RS4 in a Spyder hahaha... But how would you eliminate the four wheel drive???

Find this one http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm#6CYL
    if you look down it says Toyota 3.0L V6 so I think it will fit...

Now just have to find a transmission....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast