Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Pre-heating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You could make one yourself, just get an old water-cooker and take it apart. Looks like a nice experiment :)

There are even 12V ones!
    Don't shoot the messenger!

As long as you have an oil temp. Gauge then yeah, good for pre-warning the heater.

Remember its not the block u want warm its the oil so its thin and gets everywhere.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ok the only negative i can think of is that your cold starting may be impaired, you've all got that puzzled what the fuck is Woodsy smoking faces on right now.... my thinking is it raises the coolant temp to 60*, which is fine and dandy, except it's also telling your EFI temp sensor it's a 60* engine.... i'm not sure what the engine will start like from stone cold with the EFI telling the ECU it doesn't need any cold start fuelling.

Part of me thinks it will be fine, the other part is thinking it might not be great during cold starts..... opinions?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hmmmmm good point.. But where does the ecu get that information? Im guessing with modern cars it's not just a temp sensor in the rad? There are a bazilion sensors so wont it use multiple inputs to calculate a proper f/a ratio to cold start?

I gets it straight from the EFI temp sensor, which will be saying 60*, but only the coolant will be 60*, unless it was left to heat for ages then the block/oil would start to heat i guess, but 95% of the oil would be in the sump not circulating and stone cold....

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well efi stuff was not on the Tina it was carbs and points always worked fine, it could be ok only a suck it and see approach on a more modern car would sort the question out.

Yes but carbs and points don't rely on an EFI sensor for cold starting, big difference there, on modern engines the EFI temp sensor is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Yes but carbs and points don't rely on an EFI sensor for cold starting, big difference there, on modern engines the EFI temp sensor is very important.
    Isnt this how the cooling works?

Engine heats up the coolant in the engine till ±82°C then the thermostat opens and the coolant starts flowing, the coolant in the rest of the circuit is way colder and then takes energy from the engine...

If so I don't see the problem paul, if it only heats up to 60°C the thermostat won't open and the EFI never gets the warmer coolant because the engine heats up the coolant in the engine all by itself.....
    Don't shoot the messenger!

I'm really not sure, just playing devils advocate , my only concern is the Efi sensor is being told the engine is much hotter than it really is, it would probably not matter

I would have thought the EFI sensor would also be in the the engine coolant loop so the thermostat would not need to open for it to see hot coolant, if it was outside the engine loop then the cold start fueling would remain engaged for quite a long time. A lot of the time isn't it located pretty close to the cylinder head so will heat up pretty damn quick.

No expert myself but the old Mk1s used to start up no problems with the cold start injector unplugged.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast