Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine lid fans

Out of interest, why are you fitting fans (to SW20s) ?
    Genuine cooling issues or something I don't know ?

for a mk1, less room in the bay. last summer i drove to netherlands/france in 32 deg, apart from the coil dying in the heat, when i opened my petrol flap after long drives, fuel steam vapour came from it and petrol was pumping itself up the little vent in the filler flap, coming out like little waterfall, with key off. i proped the lid up 3" with an evian bottle cut in two, and that helped the ignition spark again, and the fuel issue not to happen.

resulting work = heat shield to cover tank area and fan for traffic, the stock fan was always on in anycase.
    all that really does is circulate the hot air.

never seen anything like it, i know mk1's have a reputation for vacuum when opening the tank, mine sucked for about 5 minutes, the fuel had heated up. very scary when petrol is pumping itself up the little vent pipe , had to put the flap on enough to stop it splashing out, yet not completely shut so it could vent.... it was like standing next to a cobra hissing for 5 minutes or more.

i tried and tested a number of times in hot and cold weather, i found the issues to be repeatable with no airflow (lid Shut) during hot weather
    Last edited by adamh; 31-01-2013 at 21:22.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Quote Originally Posted by adamh View Post
    john which fans do you have ? pull?..
    Yes Adam, I have the pull type. They are mounted on a shield that attaches to the underside of the engine lid and face up toward the lid vents thereby pulling air from the engine out.

NOTE: it is not the actual position of the fan body that is important but the direction in which the impellers spin.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

I've got Paul's lid which is great as I dont need it to look standard but even I'm thinking of fans for summer, I've never had the problems Adam has had but I think the heat of the 2gr saps the power.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsdavs View Post
    Out of interest, why are you fitting fans (to SW20s) ?
    Genuine cooling issues or something I don't know ?
    Nothing too serious, I didn't have a plug on my 3VZ loom for the engine bay fan, Gav so I am fitting an auxilliary pair that will be manually switched. I've also got A 60mm ally racing radiator and fan shroud which is the nuts but I have an ambition to run around Europe to Hungary during this/next summer (my wife is Hungarian) and I think this is a safety blanket for me.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

hear ya, those lids are great. ive a feeling a heatshield on its own will cure my issues, other 1.6 have been reported ok, but, not all did 1000 mile through 30 deg+ upto 33 in NL. i dont expect to be doing that every year, but it must be fit for purpose, stat will control fan. uk is no test for heat come on... we should be so lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Nothing too serious, I didn't have a plug on my 3VZ loom for the engine bay fan, Gav so I am fitting an auxilliary pair that will be manually switched. I've also got A 60mm ally racing radiator and fan shroud which is the nuts but I have an ambition to run around Europe to Hungary during this/next summer (my wife is Hungarian) and I think this is a safety blanket for me.
    i wired the bay fan always on since loosing the control from the loom. good shout i think i will control both with my Diy stat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12