Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Mk3, now what?

The rover v8 which I have an sd1 version with the all alloy construction was the first v8 to be built like this by Buick in the 50s , rover bought the plans because Buick could never fix the head warping which rover did.
    The lowest bhp is about 138/168 going to 200bhp in the vittesse and 300 in the twin turbo it's a lovely motor but the more bhp and displacement you get out of it the more fragile it is.
    It is a push rod v8 after all the racing 5.0 got over 500bhp but never lasted very long.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    The rover v8 which I have an sd1 version with the all alloy construction was the first v8 to be built like this by Buick in the 50s , rover bought the plans because Buick could never fix the head warping which rover did.
    The lowest bhp is about 138/168 going to 200bhp in the vittesse and 300 in the twin turbo it's a lovely motor but the more bhp and displacement you get out of it the more fragile it is.
    It is a push rod v8 after all the racing 5.0 got over 500bhp but never lasted very long.
    I just remember it from when my then boss bought a brand new Rover 3500 which had the same body shape as the 2000. This was in 1970 something, and it was his pride & joy. We had a labourer whose job it was to wash & polish the damned thing every day, and make sure it always had a full tank of petrol.

One day, he drove it to the filling station to get the petrol and got his eye on the car wash that had recently opened there and decided to save himself a bit of elbow grease by running the car through it. Problem was, he forgot to switch the radio off and so the electric aerial ended-up getting torn out by its roots and wrapped around the car wash brushes. All Hell broke loose when the boss found out.

The family goes p5b the b being Buick which are uber rare but gorgeous old cars then the p6 3.500 then sd1 styled on the Ferrari Daytona .

It would be to big to fit the mr2 and there's much newer v8 that have more power and reliability if it was me Audi v8 would be the way to go, twin turbos lol

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    It would be to big to fit the mr2 and there's much newer v8 that have more power and reliability if it was me Audi v8 would be the way to go, twin turbos lol
    Aye ...... somebody's trying to shoehorn one of those into a MK 1 I believe. :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
    Aye ...... somebody's trying to shoehorn one of those into a MK 1 I believe. :icon_wink:
    It will never be done, it's impossible ;-)

There is a Roadster with an Audi v8 in it somewhere about, but not sure who has it now.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

What a bargain and great news with the engine!

Has it got the side strikers for the hard top? If so I would be interested in buying them?

Cheers:icon_mrgreen:

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Donna, yes i do have the hardtop fitting kit for sale, whatever the going rate for them is i'll beat it :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hi Paul,

Will send a pm,

Cheers