thread: making exhaust manifolds?

Nov 2009
    Northampton

making exhaust manifolds?

I've got a new turbo for my rev1 3S-GTE :icon_biggrin: and want to make an exhaust manifold gasket (and probably downpipe) to suit it.
    I thought I'd post on here to try and get some advice from anyone who's been here before.

I can get the welding done at work but I'm not sure about bending the tubes so I might try to get the whole thing made by a 3rd party. Alternatively I could get the primaries formed and then I'll arrange the welding.

Any recomendations for companies that could do either part of it? Ideally in the Northamptonshire area.

Also keen to hear of any good design books or ideas.

Cheers,

Wingers

Sep 2010
    east sussex
    If u want some help iam up the road if you in Brighton.
    Patrick

May 2006
    Brighouse (West Yorks)
    For the 3sgte, there are many off-the-shelf manifolds.

Some good, some bad but either way I'd use one of these unless you have a very specific reason not to.

Nov 2009
    Northampton
    Thanks for the offer but I've moved to Northampton now and forgot to update my profile.
    I'd be happy to consider buying one complete if there is a good one but I'm not sure which ones to trust. I see bad things about the generic "Ebay" jobbies but some must be ok. Any recommendations of good options or respected fabricators?

Key requirements are that it fits a rev 1 head and has a divided T4 flange for the turbo. Also I don't want a separate Watergate port as my turbo is internally wastegated.

Wingers

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Welcome to TwoBrutal and welcome to Northampton!

I'm a big fan of making my own, which often involves skip diving at Kwik fit. Handy if you can't find what you want and are too lazy to try make your own bends!

Also message Peebs (on here) as the man is a pipe wizard.

Chris.

Nov 2009
    Northampton
    I'll try Peebs then. Thanks.
    I enjoy working things out for myself and am happy to spend time making it just right so I'm expecting to go down that route. If there's something that fits the bill out-of-the-box then great, but I'd be suprised as it's a fairly unusual set of requirements.

I never realised that I haven't posted on here before! I joined in 2009 but only really looked around, enjoying stories of all the crazy builds. :)

Wingers

May 2011
    The Netherlands
    Hint:

Just buy some 90x1 bends. you can always make them shorter to get the right bends....

All you need is the flanges, some bends, a bung for the o2 sensor and some straight pipe.

This is what I fabricated:

Don't shoot the messenger!

Nov 2009
    Northampton
    Is 1" usual for the diameter of the primaries?
    I can't really weld, but I do have a no-gas welding kit and can just about stick metal together. Im hoping to mock something up out of scrap as a template, and then get a professional to make the final item.

If anyone has any scrap bits that I could use then I'd be interested to her from them...

Wingers

May 2011
    The Netherlands
    I used 1.25"

The flanges are the most expensive parts....

I wouldn't bother using scrap parts for the rest, to much hassle, better get it right straight away and tackweld it together and let a real welder finish it. (Thats how I'm doing it)

You should figure out if you are going to use mild steel or stainless, you might need to arange a speciale electrode for stainless.

I bought three 316 stainless 90x1 bends and 3 feet of 304 straight stainless pipe and it only set me back €30 (Still got half the straight pipe)
    Don't shoot the messenger!

•