thread: 2GR MR-S in Moscow - Problems, please help!

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    i wonder if the japanese calibration is different than the US and australian calibration that everyone else here used. it's possible that the u0101 code causes an issue on that calibration.

otherwise nothing else seems out of place.

and yes, i wanted you to run that test to check if the chassis ground wasn't accidentally linked to the sensor ground. that would lead to issues if it was.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hmmm, U0101, that's definitely not normal.

If you have powered up +BM then the TCM should be working, so i suspect a faulty ECU if that is the case.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    Hmmm, U0101, that's definitely not normal.

If you have powered up +BM then the TCM should be working, so i suspect a faulty ECU if that is the case.
    actually, paul it is normal in these applications. in the USA the lexus units use a seperate transmission controller and you get the U0101 code instead of all the transmission solenoid/sensor codes. my first setup had that but all the ECUs i send you have the integrated trans control so you get all the other codes instead.

but in the US the camry has an integrated trans controller so this is definitely a japanese only calibration so all bets are off. for all we know the japanese regulation disalows them from making extra power with the exhaust flow fix and this is just the way that ECU will work.

also, the throttle behaviour when not running is an FMVSS(USA) regulation so that may be why the throttle is only opening partially when the motor isn't running.

you're unfortunately in unknown territory for the rest of us.

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    you seem to have access to advanced diagnosis tools (toyota scanner & whatnot)

can you put an oscilloscope on the cam and crank sensors and see if the cams are moving?

Mar 2005
    actually, paul it is normal in these applications. in the USA the lexus units use a seperate transmission controller and you get the U0101 code instead of all the transmission solenoid/sensor codes. my first setup had that but all the ECUs i send you have the integrated trans control so you get all the other codes instead.

but in the US the camry has an integrated trans controller so this is definitely a japanese only calibration so all bets are off. for all we know the japanese regulation disalows them from making extra power with the exhaust flow fix and this is just the way that ECU will work.

also, the throttle behaviour when not running is an FMVSS(USA) regulation so that may be why the throttle is only opening partially when the motor isn't running.

you're unfortunately in unknown territory for the rest of us.
    Very interesting Mr Bond...

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sep 2012
    Moscow, Russia
    Unfortunately i do not have an oscilloscope.
    Even if i can get my hands on one, i have never used them and have zero experience.

I can test if the cams are moving using the "Active test" feature where you can manually offset the cams individually from -125 deg to + 125 deg. It starts to idle roughly and stalls in maximum offset. That's at idle, of course, and i cannot do it when moving.

"also, the throttle behaviour when not running is an FMVSS(USA) regulation so that may be why the throttle is only opening partially when the motor isn't running."
    - didn't really understand that ))

The fact that the throttle works when the ecu doesn't detect the U0101 with the engine stopped leads me to try to connect the TCM and see what happens. It may be that the ecu setting on japan-made cars is different.

I will test and update the wiring, hook up the TCM and power it up, and see what happens.

will be kind of difficult to drive to a dyno on summer tyres and 0 degrees outside though...

Sep 2007
    stockport
    You could always buy and ship over a USA ecu?

Sep 2012
    Moscow, Russia
    You could always buy and ship over a USA ecu?
    Yes i guess i could and maybe it even would have turned out cheaper.
    This is the last resort if i can't get this one to work.

I have a quote of 500$ on the 2-plug non-immobilizer Ecu from Gouky's thread on 2GR-FEs

Mar 2005
    I get full communication on all of them with no resistor, another ECU difference?

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    I get full communication on all of them with no resistor, another ECU difference?
    actually, no. i have no idea how your ECUs communicate.

the 120ohm resistor at each end of the CAN network is an SAE requirement. some diagnosis tools can make up for one of them missing but without either you're very unlikely to get communications. the only thing i can think of is you may be inadvertently keeping the stock terminating resistor from one end in the stock harness and the other one is made up by your diagnosis tool

•