Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JHclassics dino conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JHclassics dino conversion

I'm considering having JHclassics do a dino conversion on my MR2. Has anyone from this board heard anything about the company? It's a fairly costly affair and my car has to be transported to Uk from Denmark (where I'm from) and so I would like to know a little about the company before committing to a deal.

TBH I know nothing about them but I do like the replica dino's

I know John Hurst, really nice bloke. He has bought two cars from me, previous Mk2 V6 projects.

His work is of the highest standard, and he has had some rave reviews.

I'm sure he could provide you with a couple of happy customers to chat to.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    I know John Hurst, really nice bloke. He has bought two cars from me, previous Mk2 V6 projects.

His work is of the highest standard, and he has had some rave reviews.

I'm sure he could provide you with a couple of happy customers to chat to.

Chris.
    He was very good in the elephant man.

Quote Originally Posted by MRV6 View Post
    He was very good in the elephant man.
    LMFAO

In fairness John Hirst has an excellent reputation, an occassional search on eBay will show his cars reselling upwards of £15k so for a replica it is still a good investment.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

I read the dino had been sold then re bought by the original guy who made them, always was a good looking kitcar the dino.
    Never a proper fezzer though as it was a fiat dino the ones with fezza decals and shields are all wrong, to really get it authentic you need the fiat badges.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 23-10-2012 at 17:50.

actually if I'm not mistaken.. the 246 Dino was badged as a Dino and never badged as niether a Ferrari nor a Fiat.. As far as I know, Dino was meant to be the name given to entry level Ferrari's in memory of Dino Ferrari (Enzo's son) So in fact it was sporting Ferrari technology with an engine designed by ferrari - built by Fiat. It is true that there was also built a car named Fiat Dino. But that was an entirely different car (though running the same engine as the 246 Dino) The 246 along with the 308 Dino was as far as I know the only built cars that was badged as Dino's, as Ferrari considered the "Dino idea" to be a bad marketing strategy. Also the 246 is the reason Ferrari's began the midengine setup.

Although I like the 246 very much.. I'm not doing this conversion to be a poser. I just don't think that the MR2 can be made to look better than the retro style of this conversion. And I have spent many hours pondering over different bodykit setups and custom designs :-D

I agree, it is a very nice replica with reliable tech underneath.

Not sure how much John charges for a conversion, but as has been said, his cars market at £15k+.

Pretty good investment IMHO.

C.

Sacrilige to mention but there is an accurate Rover MGF based version nearly ready to come out as a kit. Even John himself admits his kit is not a replica as such, more an homage as it's way too tall and also too short. I nearly bought an Alfa v6 engined 246 replica a couple of years ago - I can tell you they are not nice to drive! At least MR2 based you're in a much more comfortable environment :)

Best of luck with the kit - go for the GTB, the GTS doesn't look right to my eyes

I know someone mating up his Alfa engine to an E153 (ergo it will work with S54's).

Get a JH classic and you got the drive, the sound and 90% of the looks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast