Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F355 GTS replica restoration

Well i was looking for some advice,maybe from someone who had removed the bar, maybe a bit of advice on making up the roof etc, but i looked again & what i got were people ready to drag someone down for cutting up a 'Tin Top' which i never said i was going to do. I then pointed this out & was prepared to take the blame for the 'mistake' of not pointing out it was a 'Tbar', rather than people jumping to a (wrong) conclusion. So is there any advice? or is it just people out there post for the sake of posting, & the chance to rip into someone, make some silly joke or get all 'Girlie' & superior.

By this time I would have lost patience and brought out the grinder and cut the t top bar off if your not using your T tops and have a replacement full panel for the gap instead of two parts, get the fook on with it man get the bastard ground off Ffs .

If you do it so you can weld the bar back in if you don't like it kudos to you for doing it.

Try not to lose patience, just go in & have a brew, things tend to get better 'mug in hand,' but i have been taught to be cautious. so knowing the ins & outs is handy. Thought this of all the forums would be wall to wall good advice. After seeing Headcase's project it looks like i may be OK, but i am still a bit iffy because i was told by a couple of good engineers it would not be the best idea, any advice, anywhere? or just 'Get the fook on with it man!'

If your that worried leave it the fook alone, if your sills are ok not shot full of holes like a B17 coming back from a bombing raid on Berlin, get the fook on with it.

It's the chassis that has to be immaculate underneath as your asking it to take a tiny bit extra weight, I've known a few T bars were the roof T bit has rusted out and was doing fook all any way.

C'mon lads give him a few engineers ideas put his mind at rest.

Now for sale on PH and fleabay for £4,000!

A few of the guys with the Ferrari replicas, based on the MR2 tbar, have cut out the Tbar and fitted a removable single piece roof. The Tbar piece is only a thin piece of steel spot welded in place to mount the glass sections to. There is no support there. None of our cars have folded in two, as some peeps on here thought they might, there is no extra scuttle shake since it was removed and no evidence of door gaps etc closing. Mine has been removed over 3 years now & no problems.

F355 GTS replica restoration

Plus Pete you have the mighty 2gr to bend the chassis as well and it hasn't done that yet.

And as Patrick has done on a t bar just cut the whole bloody roof of and make it a convertible 355 rep?
    Last edited by snowtigger; 31-07-2013 at 00:48.

Good enough for me, plenty of people who know what they are talking about say it can be done, so when I get it back from having the 1MZ put in its out with the grinder. Already got the one piece roof plus the two glass panels that I have taken the locking bars off. Looking forward to doing it. Don't know how well it will seal when done, but should be o.k if I don't take it out in the rain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123