Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F355 GTS replica restoration

if its not a tbar turbo shell then i would not cut the roof off , i cut the roof of a tbar turbo and its still ok hast bent yet

patrick

T bars have more bracing than just normal roof cars that's how the spyders were made headcase, they got a tbar body and loped the roof off.

I don't think that tiny bit of steel is going to do a lot in a roll over or even a frontal crash.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrough View Post
    I have been warned about doing a full targa conversion on thr mk2 MR2, some say it affects the handling, others say it weakens it to much, so what do people think? It looks right for the replicas, i saw Extremes yellow car with full targa & it had me guessing, so is it a can do or has there to be more bracing?
    Balls!

Plenty of them around, although I'm not sure anyone has tried it with a tintop?

Oh and welcome to TwoBrutal!

Lets have some pictures of you with that grinder!

;)

Noooooooooo dont cut a tin top off .

A tin top will fold like a pack of cards not a good idea as the top is a major structure .

If you cut the top off at least put some roll bars for the seats, and maybe fill the rockers and associated frame rails with that expanding foam...

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    If you cut the top off at least put some roll bars for the seats, and maybe fill the rockers and associated frame rails with that expanding foam...
    Unfotunately this will miss the mark by a country mile.

The roof (as Tiggs said) is an integral part of the monocoque structure and the strength is contained in the self supporting shape. Change the shape and you lose the integrity, a bit like moving the pole out of the centre of a tent.

Cut the roof off and the chassis will flap like a seagull on acid.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    Unfotunately this will miss the mark by a country mile.

The roof (as Tiggs said) is an integral part of the monocoque structure and the strength is contained in the self supporting shape. Change the shape and you lose the integrity, a bit like moving the pole out of the centre of a tent.

Cut the roof off and the chassis will flap like a seagull on acid.
    Hey John let them get on with it as long as they post a vid up of opening both passenger and drivers door and then trying to shut them both after the roofs come off will be hilarious .
    Even pros fuck it up there was an American car show were two teams have to build a wicked car in like 7 days and one team did a roof chop on a car that was never a convertible, they strengthened as much as possible but 5 mins on the road and it collapsed in the middle lol.

O.K i did'nt say it was a T bar i was thinking of doin but all of a sudden everyone is going on about a 'Tin Top' and i never said it was a Tin Top. Dont think i know anyone daft enough to think you could slice into a roof & expect it to remain safe. So again is it possible to do a full targa on the 'T'bar

Quote Originally Posted by dogrough View Post
    O.K i did'nt say it was a T bar i was thinking of doin but all of a sudden everyone is going on about a 'Tin Top' and i never said it was a Tin Top. Dont think i know anyone daft enough to think you could slice into a roof & expect it to remain safe. So again is it possible to do a full targa on the 'T'bar
    On a tbar turbo yes as ive cut the roof on one see my build 2gr spider . But if u in uk u then have togo though a iva if u changing. Logbook .

Patrick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast