Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodsport Mk1 6 speed gearbox upgrade

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Woodsport Mk1 6 speed gearbox upgrade

Hi chaps, as per the title, i can provide you with a plug and play Mk1 6 speed gearbox conversion for your 4a-ge.

Is your 5 speed notchy?
    Jumping out of fifth?
    whining diff?
    Lots of play on the driveshafts?
    Crunching into gear?
    Leaking oil?

Thinking about spending a lot of money on a recon gearbox?

Maybe now is the time to go 6 speed and bring your Mk1 up to date with a fresh gearbox at the same time.

What you get

I use a Celica Gen7 6 speed as the base donor gearbox, strip it right down, and refit the internals/gears into a Mk1b bellhousing (gives you two starter motor locations for use with either 16v or 20v swaps)

All gear cases are high pressure steam cleaned, new diff side bearings fitted to either your choice of stock C52 open diff or Mk3 Mr2 LSD unit.

The diff preload is then checked and adjusted methodically and reshimmed to the top end of Toyota spec.

The gears are all inspected, and new Toyota input shaft and output shaft bearings are installed.

The input shaft oil seal and both diff output oil seals are renewed.

The whole transmission is sealed and painted.

So you end up with a bearing and seal overhauled 6 speed gearbox that will bolt straight onto your 4a-ge engine without any modification whatsoever, your speedo cable will plug straight in, reverse light will plug in, driveshafts will work as normal with the Mk1 stock diff, all mountings will be OEM and the shifter assembly and slave cylinder will all just bolt up without any modification, truely plug and play. It will be a simple transmission swap no different than fitting another 5 speed.

If you request the LSD option then you will need to fit Mk2 NA driveshafts, but these are again plug and play into both the diff and Mk1 hubs without any mods.
    The 6 speed will be carefully packed and shipped to your door within 2 weeks of ordering.
    The gear ratios will be as follows...

1st gear 3.166
    2nd gear 2.050
    3rd gear 1.481
    4th gear 1.166
    5th gear 0.916
    6th gear 0.725
    Final drive 4.529

Costs

There is a lot of labour involved with this product, and a lot of parts costs, but i feel i am offering something special with this.

The new Toyota bearings and seals costs come to £350
    The Celica 6 speed donor cost £250
    Mk1b donor gearbox cost £100
    Postage/Packaging £30
    My labour costs to build this gearbox £300

This comes to £1030 , now there is often some discount to be had buying donor transmissions in bulk, i have four 6 speeds on their way this week alone, so i am advertising this at a delivered to your door price of £950 all in.

There is a company in the US that builds these for $4,500 each :shock:

If you want the LSD version you will need to add £250 to the above.

This is as cheap as a 6 speed Mk1 gearbox is ever going to get.

If you wish to send me your Mk1B gearbox as the donor i can knock £100 off the cost, please remember i cannot accept a Mk1A gearbox, its casing is not suitable for use. You can send me any Mk1B gearbox and it doesn't matter about its internal gears condition, we only use the bellhousing section.

If anyone has any questions i'm more than happy to answer, thankyou Paul.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

For those of us across the big pond and can't afford the shipping / customs taxes for your wonderful, professional quality solution, would it be possible to get the Celica C60 gearset + crown gear, Mk3 LSD and the extended end case from the C60? :)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Yes that will all work perfectly, the C60 internals and middle/upper cases will all fit to the Mk1b bellhousing, just make sure you use either the C60 bellhousing bearings or renew them, and if you don't reshim the diff preload it will eat itself in a few miles, other than that you're good to go.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

We need this for the MK2 (especially with 2GR) !!
    :fingersx:

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpete View Post
    We need this for the MK2 (especially with 2GR) !!
    :fingersx:
    +1. I wonder if Goldy can work his magic with a flappy paddle option for this.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Nice writeup indeed :-) but the box is even nicer

Good for marketing purposes as well.

Most people have no Idea at all how much work/ parts an overhaul like this involves.
    Don't shoot the messenger!

That's fantastic Paul. Hat's off to you, not only a great write up but sharing your knowledge as well.

Lots of respect to you for that, Buddy.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

not particularly cheap this gearbox, yet still the cheapest torque for a 4AGE one can buy :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast