Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrota 3VZFE engine howl

Ferrota 3VZFE engine howl

My Extreme 355 with a very unrestrictive exhaust!

Has a very Italian howl driving round town

they sure make the best noise
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

sounds amazing.... exactly why im starting my build :)

very nice sound that some thing i will be looking at doing in the future as this new zorst is too quiet lol.

Sounds luuurvely! Any more videos you can capture of it would be very much appreciated.

This is the same car as in this video isn't it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVSV1EVZF5k

Hayward & Scott? I'm trying to piece together how to replicate this sound. There was another chap on this forum who allegedly got a system made by them but it sounds nothing like the silver 355:
    http://youtu.be/CMwO8gE39sM

Once upon a time I had a picture/description of why the second video sounds so different, but I've lost it. Does anybody else know more?

I suspect you could replicate it with an empty drum and four pipes!! Seriously, it's very obviously got no silencing in it whatsoever. The only thing that I could possibly criticise it goes through a bit too much resonance at 2.5K rpm. It does sound massively different to any other MRV6 vids I've heard on youtube including 355 reps and those with Berk exhausts - it's hard to describe and harder to capture properly on vid but that pipe does do something a bit magical.

Yes that is the same car in the other youtube vid. No, that other Haywood & Scott system sounds nothing like mine!

I'll try and get some pics of it for you - as much as possible - from underneath the car.

I have no evidence it is actually a Haywood and Scott exhaust - only previous owners say so. http://www.haywardandscott.com/

I'm half expecting mine to be that loud and raspy. Lol.

Don't know just what difference the 1mz vvti will be compared to the 3vz sound wise, should see soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanyfelix View Post
    I'm half expecting mine to be that loud and raspy. Lol.

Don't know just what difference the 1mz vvti will be compared to the 3vz sound wise, should see soon though.
    the vvti will give it more of a top end note and help with torque and fuel economy just pootling round town, the only way to get a proper fezza sound is buy a fezza box and fit it, not easy but has been done and the bloody thing weighs twice as much as a normal mr2 zorst.

some second hand ones turn up on fleabay as the owners ditch them for titanium systems.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    the vvti will give it more of a top end note and help with torque and fuel economy just pootling round town, the only way to get a proper fezza sound is buy a fezza box and fit it, not easy but has been done and the bloody thing weighs twice as much as a normal mr2 zorst.

some second hand ones turn up on fleabay as the owners ditch them for titanium systems.
    Unless you can show some evidence otherwise I don't think this is strictly the case, don't forget that an exhaust just tunes the note produced by the engine; the stereotypical Ferrari noise is produced by a high revving flat-plane V8 with relatively small cylinders which is then filtered through the exhaust. A crossplane V6 with relatively larger cylinders like our Toyota V6s is a completely different instrument; plugging the same box on the end doesn't necessarily produce the same noise.

well let me see v8 flat plane v v6 mmmm actually it all depends on the volume of air being passed through the pipes and size of said pipes,plus if the standard manifolds are used can also effect the resonant frequencies, i do know that there are 7 chambers inside a 355 exhaust and 3 pipes that enter from the v8 2 for low down frequencies and one for the full bore howl that is opened by a valve, ive heard both sides of this argument before and while a v6 doesnt rev as high and looses 2 cylinders with the same box it does give quite a good imitation of the v8 with the same exhaust box fitted and all 3 pipes plumbed in.

i said close approximation not a 100% a good custom zorst shop can tune an exhaust to match what ever sound you want as long as you have the money to spend, and i have had the pleasure of hearing a 355 on song and a replica mr2 with a tuned system and while its close i still would have liked the proper fezza.

the reason mr2 turbo boxes on v6 sound so bloody loud is normally the turbo drowns out some of the sound wave, but on a v6 can sound harsh ive had both a normal turbo and a custom setup while i loved the low down bark and rumble i didnt like the 70mph drone were as the custom setup can be a bit to quiet at low speeds once you hit 120mph it sounds fantastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast