Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971 Fiat 500 4-AGE

1971 Fiat 500 4-AGE

Right build thread, i have copied it from Retrorides so excuse the time line, however it will give you a history of this car since there is quite an extensive one.....

Hi guys, ive been lurking in the backround of this forum and ive been doing up this car for about 2 years, ive been away at uni and now I'm living up in glasgow, sadly the car is down at my very understanding mothers. here are the pics from when ive bought it till now.

check the height of the wheel to arch ratio

size comparison:

shot of it, rolling with my mums 500 and my teg

heading up to glasgow

up in glasgow in 2010ish and i went looking for rust.....

FOUND SOME!!!!

bracing in prep for welding

floor out, inner sill prep

Floor panel getting sized and trimmed

front arches, or where should be...

Right as promsed I have the pics of it in it's current state, with the doors in place and lining up well.

What i'm currently doing as you'll see from the photos is adding some strength to the chassis, the fiat 500 is a monocoque chassis but it is not designed to take a lot of power, it has three main cross member, one about the gearbox mounts one behind the seats and one at the front which the transverse leaf spring would get bolted too if I wasn't planning to run coilovers and double wish bone.

I'm using 50mm x 50mm x 2.5 thick box section to create and join the main member providing additional stregth, just at the first stages but so far i'm pleased.

Should give an idea that i'm really not planning on standard powers

Comment and critisisms welcome.

New front on

box section running up both sills

Right, this thread needs a serious update.....

After toying with various engine ideas, along the lines of Scooby engines with backward cut diffs or a rotary engine mated to the scoob box with the backward cut diff, or Porsche engines (saw the price tag and my mind was changed for me....). I took some inspiration from close to home, my partner in crime has a MK1 MR2, once the measuring tape was produced, it was decided.

So a rather poorly looking mk1 was sourced and the carnage began.

This car has totally snowballed, it was going to be a quick tidy up, nice wheels and use as a daily classic....oops!

I started by welding some 50x50x3 box section to increase the chassis strength before I took out the main x-member of the car, seen with the two downward members that hold the trailing arms, or gearbox, I can remember now.

I'll let the pics do the talking:

made gearbox mount out of the box section:

the other mount is nearly made and that is us up to present day, i'll keep this thread up to date, as there seems to be some like minded nutters on here!

Awesome work.

Getting a semi just thinking about it!

Keep them pics coming!

Chris.

As above that's bloody great! I love the old 500s i've always fancied an abarth one! How come you went for the 4AGE rather than an alfa, fiat lump or motorbike engine?

A hyabusa supercharged or turbo would have been mental with 500bhp, but you have got to start somewhere.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast