123456713 ...

thread: GavDavs Mk2 2gr-fe swap

Sep 2007
    stockport
    It's ok only a little quirk is it likes to go fast, but that could be down to my driving style and clutch.

It will pootle all day at 30 and at 70mph it's barely running and in 5th it just a big cruiser untill you hit the loud pedal and all hell brakes loose, it's much better now I've unseiezed the brakes lol so should run faster at the pod.

Apr 2010
    Walsall, West Midlands
    Did you have to fit larger brakes or are they standard stock ?
    Also have you worked out how many miles per gallon you get?

The MOT rules have become more strict from Jan 12 about the emissions, do you forsee any problems there and have you removed the CAT?

Cheers

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    Did you have to fit larger brakes or are they standard stock ?
    Also have you worked out how many miles per gallon you get?

The MOT rules have become more strict from Jan 12 about the emissions, do you forsee any problems there and have you removed the CAT?

Cheers
    i get 26/39 USMPG with mine but i did the final drive swap. you can expect 3-4mpg less with the stock 4.28 gears.

there's a big difference between the in-town and the highway driving because i do drive somewhat aggressively. the 2gr beacons me to do so. in UKMPG that translates to 31/47 and in metric, 9.0L/100km city and 6.0L/100km highway

the MKI probably gets marginally better fuel economy due to the lighter weight.

emissions from the 2gr without cats are cleaner than the 3s-gte from the factory. cats are not impossible to fit, but very difficult to do so. emissions regulations vary from location to location and you'd have to do some research first. i know several states in the US can't run the 2gr because of the inability to fit cats in this swap.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    Cats I have a black and white one it goes meow, as I've had it on the co2 doodah at the mot it's a lot less than the 4age that was 900ppm the 2gr was 100ppm apparently if it had a mega small cat it probably would pass a cat test.

As to brakes I have the st205 celica fronts turbo rears, as the mk1 is crap on standard brakes, the setup I've got makes the car stand on its nose and I've not yet bedded the brakes in fully.

Mpg about 35mpg a lot less if you have a heavy right foot, cough me officer never sir I'm a good boy .
    Last edited by snowtigger; 10-10-2012 at 14:31.

Apr 2010
    Walsall, West Midlands
    Does that mean for a UK MOT, the 2gr has to have the CAT test therefore needs them fitted? Thats pretty good mpg for a 3.4L engine!
    Also can anyone comment on where a LPG tank would fit, if I went down that route on my MK3

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    Does that mean for a UK MOT, the 2gr has to have the CAT test therefore needs them fitted? Thats pretty good mpg for a 3.4L engine!
    Also can anyone comment on where a LPG tank would fit, if I went down that route on my MK3
    it's a 3.5L (3456cc to be precise)

LPG? for the 2gr? seems like a bad idea to convert an unsuported engine to LPG that nobody knows about.

Mar 2012
    Rotherhithe
    The way Paul explained it to me the cat requirement is based around the age of the chassis.
    As my car it a 1991/1992, it predates the year from which having a cat was necessary.
    The fact that it came from the factory with a cat isn't relevant.
    So to a degree, it depends on the age of the chassis of your car.

On ecomony, I am hopeful that the 2GR will be more economic than the 3s-GE that came out.
    The two litre regularly got gunned pretty hard to get the car up and moving, whereas a small tap on the pedal should be sufficient with the 2GR in place. It is likely I'll be driving in limo mode for most of the time.

Anyone who's got more specific info on the cat situation please correct me.
    Last edited by gavsdavs; 10-10-2012 at 21:24. : speling & gramer

Apr 2010
    Walsall, West Midlands
    I have a Mk2 fitted with a 3.0L 3VFZE which is LPG converted, never had a problem with the LPG or running with it.
    It is really cheap to run eqiv of around 55 mpg.

Why would it then be a bad idea to convert a 2gr, lots of people convert their Lexus to LPG?

Can someone throw more light on the CAT testing relating to the car age for a MOT. Would this mean that if you needed to keep the CAT to stay within the Law, that there would be a loss of power, I wonder what the difference in power with and without the CAT would be.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    There changing the whole bloody thing at the moment, as it stands what you said is correct but it's subject to change because of the bloody eu knobheads.

One thing I've found is use a thicker oil in the engine as after changeing the oil to a 0/30 fully synthetic I keep getting oily puffs of smoke if I rev it from stand still.

So use a 10/30 semi synthetic and save some money.

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    Why would it then be a bad idea to convert a 2gr, lots of people convert their Lexus to LPG?
    it was only available with the 2gr for one model year. i doubt there are lots of conversions. but if there are, then it's not a new avenue.

i'd just recommend against being a pioneer in that conversion only to end up with a damaged engine that you can't get locally.

123456713 ...

•