Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: GavDavs Mk2 2gr-fe swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    the more surprising thing than anything is how tame the ECU makes the motor, it's a very civilized monster with it. With the AEM it's just a brute that tries to kill you at every opportunity.
    It still thinks its a sienna. I am so tempted by the AEM - I can imagine a new fuel map with the changed components factored in would result in a very different delivery. Does the AEM allow switchable maps ? i.e a "I want to drive normally" mode and a "kill occupants" mode ? I don't fancy a racecar map on the road in traffic.

Edit - It does do switchable maps :)
    Last edited by gavsdavs; 27-02-2015 at 20:36.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    With the AEM it's just a brute that tries to kill you at every opportunity.
    I can confirm this to be accurate

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I'm probably dropping my exhaust off the 2GR this weekend to swap out the back boxes for a single exit, so i will take a look at my flanges out of curiosity.

The front section was built by Patrick (Headcandy) and his work is superb, but still it wouldn't hurt to check as the coper gaskets are pretty precise from what i recall.

c.

The copper gaskets are embossed and actually quite forgiving. That's why I selected them.

For sure, and it wasn't meant as criticism. By comparison the 1mz / 3vz uses big fat crush rings, which are pretty accommodating. The copper gaskets rely on the two facing surfaces being good.

I've only used the copper gaskets once when they were assembled, so it will be interesting to see how they faired.

Yeah. Those crush rings are quite nice. V bands are even nicer but those warp even easier.

I weld my V bands fully clamped up and don't separate them until cool, that seems to work.

Gav i will shoot down to Catterick in it and back once done to test it, but i am 99% sure it will be fixed, if it doesn't go into safe mode, i will check for pending misfires, it should have logged a ton of those in that time, if i get back to "The Nigel" (see who works that out first) and there are no pending misfires logged then it is fixed and can be collected anytime.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I've only used the copper gaskets once when they were assembled, so it will be interesting to see how they faired.
    The gaskets themselves will work perfectly, but only on flat flange faces, so if you have any sooty blowby on them your downpipe flanges aren't flat and have pulled during welding, it really is something people need to watch out for.

Quick update on this. This wasn't fixed by Pauls work on the exhaust flanges.

Jem have smoke tested the exhaust and both banks still leak.

The whole exhaust including manifolds is coming off to have the flange faces machined flat.

At this point it looks like the manifold flanges (goukys) could have been bowed by being bolted to a concave exhaust flange.

Hope these work
    http://www.gavdav.demon.co.uk/downlo...311_174405.mp4
    http://www.gavdav.demon.co.uk/downlo...311_174409.mp4
    Last edited by gavsdavs; 12-03-2015 at 11:52.

Damn, that's really unfortunate now.

But thankfully the flanges are really thick and can be flattened without issue.

The gaskets at the head are one time use by the way. You will need new ones up there also and I strongly suggest you get oem ones.