Thread: engine working but water pump/thermostat not?? ARGH!

engine working but water pump/thermostat not?? ARGH!

hey folks,

sorry but i really have nowhere else to turn!

engines in, mounts in! key turns and the car is doing well...and then 5 mins in there is no water being pumped round the system/heaters are stone cold/all pipes to the front of the car are cold.

the car was warm, engine temp on the dials halfway and veering upwards and neither of the bottom pipes are hot or have any water going through. checked the joins and no leaks and i've topped it up with water countless times. also rechecked all my wiring in the boot and it all seems spot on.

there is however a suspicious looking 4 pin (with 3 pins in it) plug loitering near the alternator/pipe that comes out the engine where the water pump is i think. I cant for the love of me find anywhere to plug it in tho.

any ideas folks? four days of work on this motherf**king car to get it ready for tomorrow and it looks like i'm screwed. maybe thermostats jammed closed? water pump done? or could i have missed a plug/wiring?

cheers in advance just want to drive!

Calm down.

The 4 wire plug by the alternator is for the aircon, which you probably don't have.

Is the car still on a slope? Get it level - you've got an airlock. Take one of the pipes off the rad and shove more water in the filler. Even when it seems to be full, it will keep swallowing water / coolant. The rad doesn't really get hot on tickover.

Bleed it as much as you can, inc the heater bleed next to the clutch master.

Then take it around the block to get it warm.

Worst case scenario, the thermostat is fucked. But I doubt it. Take it out if you have to, it will be ok in this weather.

Don't panic!

C.

What C is saying. Thermostat will stay closed if the collant doesnt get hot (like 82 Celsius) and it won't be able to let go of the air because of that.

Usually an engine needs a little more as 5 mins to get to that coolant temperature.
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Much much appreciated!

Got the system bled and the rest of the bits and pieces on and its working well finally! yet to take her for a drive but dont know where i'd be without you guys helping out! Cheers will let you know how i get on!