Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2ar engine swap ideas? Insults, and discussion

1ar has only an auto ecu. I plan on using a stock ecu to pass emissions and all that junk. Other swaps I would lose this ability or have to cut up the car. Things I don't want to do. Mainly considered the 2ar for that purpose. Not looking to build a world beater engine combo. Just want something fun to drive around in that's simple. I'm kind of over the fact of dumping ten's of thousands of dollars into a car and then bleeding when it comes time to sell. Guess I'm growing old now days and just want things to work and not send months on stands. Been there done that over it all.

DO IT!

i have a "race car" MKI with a 2ar in it and it's awesome for flogging. the motor is bulletproof (over 5500 miles of endurance racing on it so far with nothing but oil changes).

all i did to it was add the optional oil cooler for it (it's a different water pump with an exchanger, pretty cheap from Toyota and no rubber lines to go bad) and i run Klotz synthetic in it and she just keeps putting up to abuse.

this motor has turbo kits available to push it to 330hp to the ground. it takes 7psi to get there if i remember right. there's also a drift car running a 2ar in the 700HP range. the motor is build for abuse, 3 oil cooler jets per piston and all sorts of stuff like that.

plenty of room to spare in the MKI bay:

i just run the stock ECU with the immobilizer system. just snagged the key and taped it to the antenna:

as for fuel economy, i can't speak for daily use. the car gets 12mpg flogging the shit out of it on the track which is downright amazing. i would expect mid 30's maybe even touching 40mpg (us galons)

but the bad news is, i'd STRONGLY recommend you just get a complete motor. you'll get nickle and dimmed putting that one together as you figure out everything that is missing.

here's a video of it racing:

Gouky, what tranny do you use for it?
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Quote Originally Posted by MMaddict View Post
    Gouky, what tranny do you use for it?
    i used the EB62, but the E153 would work. the bolt pattern hasn't changed in any significant way.

Gouky do you mind if I ask what were the hardest parts of making this all work. I'm sure the wiring must have been interesting.

honestly, the whole thing went in the car physically in a weekend, then two evenings worth of work for the wiring harness and it was all good to go. thankfully i got the full immobilizer setup from the donor so i did not have to hunt around.

i'd have to say though. the 6 speed manual transmission really isn't worth swapping in. i keep having synchro issues with it on the race track. the E153 is much more bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    honestly, the whole thing went in the car physically in a weekend, then two evenings worth of work for the wiring harness and it was all good to go. thankfully i got the full immobilizer setup from the donor so i did not have to hunt around.

i'd have to say though. the 6 speed manual transmission really isn't worth swapping in. i keep having synchro issues with it on the race track. the E153 is much more bulletproof.
    As far as performance, is it worth the trouble or would a 3s or 2z better?

SPYDERMAN

stock for stock, the 2ar puts out better power than the 3s. the 3s can be increased cheaply, there are 2ar turbo kits available also to bring the power way up but that's not what the 2gr/2ar swaps are about. they are about having a good performance/high reliability car.

if you're just after cheap performance, get an older motor like the 3s-gte.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12