Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2ar engine swap ideas? Insults, and discussion

2ar engine swap ideas? Insults, and discussion

Anyone know much about the new 2ar's found in the new scion tc and camry's. Tech wise it has many similar features as the new 2grs. So it's a step forward in the the evolutionary path.

I happen to have a free long block that fell into my lap. The engine over heated but looks like it could be saved. Decking the head and block and I'm good to go. No damage to the bearings etc.... Will look into it further when I have more time. The popular path would be to just toss in a 2zz and be happy NA wise that point I feel has been fielded many times. The downside, is even with the new engine you still have less tq's then the 2ar while making only a bit more hp but at the very top end. The 2ar produces 180 hp, and 170 ftlbs out of the box. Has a much wider power band and displacement is bumped up to 2.5 ltrs. This would make the car much more fun to drive daily and much better at high elevations where I found the 1zz/2zz to be lacking.

MPG's would likely go up a measurable degree also oem rating on a camry and tc have it at 34 mpg on a cars that are easily 1000lbs more. ECU wise I think it would be a solid winner. The tc as well as camry have a 6speed option so no pesky check engine codes in that respect. Mounting the engine itself should also be fairly straight forward with a bridge mount like the 2zz. Weight wise shouldn't be much of an issue I think worst case I'll take a 15lb bump in weight. All of which is negated anyhow as I will not have a stock exhaust system that easily sheads 40lbs. Wiring well I'm definitely paying to get done not a can of worms I'm comfortable with. When in doubt have Doug sort it out.

Now here are the stumbling blocks I'm running into when going through this build exercise. I would much rather think things out as much as possible before deciding on what to do. All I know is the stupid 1zz lump in my engine bay is going out and is going to turn into a coffee table. Budget at the end of the day is 10k with me doing as little as possible on my end. Been there done that have the bloody knuckles and scars I'll rather have someone else endure this "pain". I know many will say Add turbo, spend 6k have more power etc....... Been there done that blew up a 3k motor and well I got over the entire super high hp thing. What I want now is response, a wide power band, reliability, and torque. Waiting forever and a day to go into lift is just not my cup of tea, to me it's like very bad turbo lag. Much rather have the entire tach to play with then just 2k like a 2zz, or 3k when I had my 1zz turbo setup.

I'm fairly certain a c-series trans won't mesh well with the the 2ar as it uses a EB trans. So what type of axles would work in a EB trans that would match up with our hubs. Anyone have an idea never looked into Scion stuff much. If not it's ok just guess I'll have to find out the hard way. I doubt I'll push the trans hard enough to have it break, people have bolted these to a 2gr and they held up fine.

Given the fact that there is a high likely hood that the newer ecus will have a built in immobilizer circuit, what makes them tick. My car already has one. Does it just need a signal one exist or do I have to "update" my unit. Never really understood these things. Just know you have to do some weird car dance everytime you want to program in a new key.

Lastly how to proceed. When I said I got free long block, well it's just a complete short block, and head minus the valve train. The valve train parts were shipped to Toyota's QA department to figure out WTF happened. So I'll need, gaskets, seals, coil packs, water pump, etc....... Is it worth it to start at this point or just buy a "swap" package deal. I have been finding them around the net for 3500. I would have in essence a brand new engine. Found the trans brand new with LSD to cost only 2k give or take "thank you employee discount".

Now here's the funny part holy !$#$ parts are so much cheaper for this engine then I thought it would be. Least with this motor I'll never have to worry about parts being available. Me bribing the parts manager has nothing to do with it either. BTW no need for some weird header either. Exhaust manifold is on the firewall side of the spyder. Just need to fab up a custom mid pipe and in "theroy" should be able to to be fine from that point on.

So Discuss, insult, defend your engine choice.

I'm not aware of any 2AR swaps on here, I think you've sold it to me quite well, though I might be tempted for a bit more HP for going down the swap route, is there a turbo or supercharger kit available for these?

I think gouky will know more about this engines options.

The Scion Tc usually comes with a SC as an option.....
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Dont quite get why you'd wanna go down the hassle
    of this road for 180hp??

I think with sc there in the 220/240 bhp but it's the torque it makes that's better than the zz engines.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post
    Dont quite get why you'd wanna go down the hassle
    of this road for 180hp??
    1. for the same reason people swap the 1zz for the 2zz
    2. because he can
    3. in a couple of years the junk yards are filled with them like with the old camry engines. (most sold toyota in North America) won't stay as uncommon as the 2zz

Following reasons:

1. OBD2 Compliant
    2. Free long block
    3. Torque
    4. Hate the ZZ engine family and they have proved to be more hassle then what they are worth.
    5. After the engine is running it should be very simple to maintain and keep around.
    6. End of the day no replacement for displacement.
    7. If I really wanted to I could slap on a turbo fairly easily.
    8. Parts are stupid cheap costing half of what the same part cost for the 2zz.
    9. Hopefully no cutting of the car required

Why not flog the 2ar long block and seek out a 1ar-fe?These have 190bhp, 186lb ft torque and are 2.7.

Seems strange to go to all the effort of a transplant and use the second best 4 cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by rexer200 View Post
    Why not flog the 2ar long block and seek out a 1ar-fe?These have 190bhp, 186lb ft torque and are 2.7.

Seems strange to go to all the effort of a transplant and use the second best 4 cylinder

You got a point there, the Venza, Highlander and Sienna are bigger cars though and not as widely around as the Camry and the tC. Not sure if it will have a SC option.

He also does not have the free long block I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast