Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian v8 build

That picture of bulkhead with chassis legs chopped off is very brutal ! Looks like some serious welder time coming up . Luv it !

Rear frame is ready to be attached to the car:

Happy strut towers:

More work has been done. I had a lot of time off last weekend for my brother's wedding, that kept me busy. But I've trimmed a lot of excess metal off the bottom of the audi frame and have permanently attached the rear underbody of the two frames. They were welded in various places inside, braced inside, then this 16G sheet was bent to fit the underside for a solid frame. I keep putting off attaching it to the car because I keep seeing reasons that it is easier to work on off of the car, but I've run out of excuses so tomorrow *should* be the day I attach the suspension mounts back to the firewall/frame. Also I'm looking for a new rear crossmember, trying to find a deal.

Start of the day messy and not very well connected:

The sheet I cut for the new frame:

End of the day; lots of bending, cutting, welding. Went through an entire spool of weld wire, but the rear frames are almost entirely connected. There are two "flaps" where the oem rear crossbrace is that still need to be bent quite a ways and reconnected to the transmission tunnel and crossbrace (if you can see what I'm talking about lol). Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out, the welds came out real nice and both sides have a very uniform look to them. It's also solid as hell.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm blown away with the fabrication that has gone into that, it's a totally fresh approach to fitting a V8 into a Mk2, one that nobody else has ever considered let alone attempted. i can fully appreciate the amount of work here, fascinating build!
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 30-08-2012 at 07:56.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Very interesting stuff. You will start an epidemic! Watch people try and copy you!

And when The Dark Lord starts liking your work you know you're on a winner.

So many of us long for his approval!

;(

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I don't think there's any copying that! This guy has fabrication skills well beyond the average Joe, i was dubious at first, we've seen so many people nail this to that and presume it's strong enough, merging the two chassis sections together like that is outstanding, i would have dismissed it as just too much work and found a quicker way, but that is what makes it so awesome, it will look like a true Mr2/Audi hybrid.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Being a long standing engineer of 20 years now in the sheet metal and light structural fabrication game (lifting equipment up to 2000kg, hoppers, silos and conveying equipment), i know a thing or two in this game... Like Paul, i was dubious too but now seeing that i think you're onto a winner! Very VERY well done indeed!

Take a bow sir! :D

Indeed!

I'm not saying anyone is going to copy this, but you know people will see this build and take a grinder to their cars with wanton abandon!

:)

One thing i will say though..... add a few holes to it. to allow any water that gets in there to drain out....

Thanks for the support guys. I had a feeling people were just waiting to see if I'd give up or how bad of a job I was going to do, I'm no engineer but I am a physicist lol. dgh - good point, I will drill some holes today.

I've got 2 weeks before school starts back up so I'd like to get as much done as possible so I'm only playing with bolt on parts and not chassis engineering during the school term.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast