Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian v8 build

Sorry the swearing was just for my local forum (copy and pasted my build thread) where a lot of people think they are engineers and the ultimate opinion to everyone's problem.

The bulkhead is going to get some serious reinforcement for sure, its a much thinner gauge metal than I was anticipating. I know it probably would be 'easier' to put it through the firewall and keep all my stock suspension points, but to be honest the custom gas tank (although I've done a few in the past) seemed excessive and entirely problematic, as well as the engineering behind severing that lower frame rail and safety issues associated with it. My plan is to make the engine bay almost entirely unibody looking, all reinforcements will be contoured if possible.

As far as aesthetics, well I'm pretty handy in that department, I've chosen some quarter panels but none of that is finalized until the engine is in and running. The MC8R road version is so sexy, I'd love to replicate it, but the front end looks complicated, the jury is out on that one...

The rear suspension will be the mr2 variety

That does look quite good. I was half expect a Frankenstein of a job but when it's closed up that will look slightly at home!

C.

speaking from the perspective of someone that has chopped up an MR2's rear engine firewall (see here for proof: http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Ai...2/IMG_0088.jpg ) you'll want to keep in mind that the rear engine firewall handles most of the strut tower stability and they will flop around like a wet noodle unless you reinforce them significantly.

obviously your constraits are a bit different so your design will have to be different than mine, but just something to keep in mind.

Any chance I can come and drop by when I go back to visit Guelph next year?
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Instead of mounting it on the front firewall, go from the subframe to the chassis rails on the side with mounts. It'll be a million times stronger.

Another 14 hour day yesterday. Had to give the plasma cutter back today so I needed to get everything done that I possibly could. 28 hours in 2 days is a good head start on this project haha, and I'm quite pleased with what I've accomplished so far. There were/are a few snags and nothing is connected or finalized or even close (everything is in position and just braced for a few more fitments and measurements). I initially started with the audi frame on the ground and tried making the strut mounts fit over top, but the whole thing was too unstable. Instead I flipped the struts upside down and built the whole thing from the bottom. This allowed me to work with the cross members as well as the two frames to see what was going to be needed. I still haven't decided on how to tie everything in but I have a few good ideas in my head. I'm always open to suggestions as always, I will work with the best knowledge I have available to me :)

The biggest problem I have right now is that the rear tie rod mount is not even close to being useable, and the tension rod mount is now way too far from the control arms. I'm hoping to figuring these out tomorrow. Things seem to other wise be shaping up nicely. Tomorrow I'm also hoping to figure out what metal bracing and tie in plates I will need to make this all happen. I'm pretty excited for the side profile as the length of the wheelbase is looking to be exactly where I would like it.

Also on a side note: Today I will finally get some sleep. It's been kind of crazy being in the garage for 14 hours straight, consuming massive amounts of monster energy drinks and pizza, coughing black wads of stuff from the smoke buildup due to the plasma cutter, dealing with the literally crippling reemergence of my carpal tunnel syndrome, and I'm sure there are other less interesting whiny things I could write of (plasma burns...). Just a little insight into the pains of a project like this :P

Epic.

"it doesn't count unless you build it yourself"

You hang in there tiger!

:)

Greetings from Cambridge, Engalnd.

I'm in awe! What a monsterous undertaking. I've not seen this approach before of extending everything rearward I'm gonna keep tabs on your progress with this build, it's great.

How do you think the handling will be with all that weight in the very back end of the car? It's gonna be a hoot to drive once you're done.

Keep up the good work.

Beany

So the last few days I haven't put in more than 8 hours a day, but I've been doing a lot of cleanup work on the car removing the unnecessary pieces. I've designed my primary structural components and have all the metal here, spent most of the day on the strut tower running pieces. The plates that are welded on and bolted through at the firewall are 10g steel and the strut tower running pieces are 14g steel sheets. 2x2" 100 wall steel tubes are being used as my primary triangulation pieces. Since I have all day tomorrow (finally) to work on the car I plan on putting in some serious hours. I hope to have the frame rails attached to the car by the end of the day. Haven't decided what to do with the inside supports but I know it will involve that piece of 10g steel sitting behind the seat. We shall see...

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast