Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian v8 build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canadian v8 build

I'm starting my new build in the next few weeks. Engine is a 4.2L v8 out of a 2001 audi a6, chassis is a 1991 USDM MR2. Here's the car:

And what the motor is going in (my 3vz-fe powered 3.0L v6 mr2):

This is what the car looked like when it arrived:

I need to decide on a transmission to get the ball rolling, since I'm in Canada the 01x is hard to get. I posted a question in the v8 specific forum about transaxles and what my options are so once that is decided I'll order one up and get to the installation process.

Going to follow this :)

I used to get my Burgers @ frieda's in Cambridge when I was in canada last February - June.....
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Looking forward to this! Transmission wise depending on orientation you could look into the fwd 6 speed box from the b8 chassis audi's (a4 and a5) or i think the one from the fiero has been used before on an american built v8.

sent from my foot to your arse!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris69 View Post
    Looking forward to this! Transmission wise depending on orientation you could look into the fwd 6 speed box from the b8 chassis audi's (a4 and a5) or i think the one from the fiero has been used before on an american built v8.

sent from my foot to your arse!
    I highly doubt a fiero's tranmission would be strong enough.... or even connect to it th eright way (Axles in the wrong direction)

Did you check what Paul used for his V8?

Paul used the 01x I believe, UK spec only :(

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Paul used the 01x I believe, UK spec only :(
    Maybe this could help you, US based

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...nsmission.html
    http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...ical-info.html

Thanks, I've looked through those. Most of the audi a4 transmissions here in the 2wd variant have a three letter code DVZ in the 2.8L v6 and DVX in the 1.8T. In 2003 the 3.0L is listed with a six speed GBE, but I can't tell if it's 2WD or not. There is six speed in a 2.0L that has the code GVD for 2005 a4's, and those are all the variants I have to work with. There doesn't seem to be any way to cross over between the two types of part numbers (01x, 01e, 016, DVX, GVD, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Thanks, I've looked through those. Most of the audi a4 transmissions here in the 2wd variant have a three letter code DVZ in the 2.8L v6 and DVX in the 1.8T. In 2003 the 3.0L is listed with a six speed GBE, but I can't tell if it's 2WD or not. There is six speed in a 2.0L that has the code GVD for 2005 a4's, and those are all the variants I have to work with. There doesn't seem to be any way to cross over between the two types of part numbers (01x, 01e, 016, DVX, GVD, etc).
    Worst case scenario woul be for you to make/get a custom bell housing. How about chopping op the bell housing of the transmission that came with it?

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Subscribed, the very best of luck to you, it's a marathon effort!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Subscribed for sure.... :thumbsup:

Are you sure you're not getting your boxes mixed up?

This is the 01x Paul and I are using.....

But surely you'll be better off using the same box as Ollie (OlberJ) is using in his Fauxrarri?

(like this one - but think you want a 2.5/3.0 diesel box from an A6)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-2-...item3a72423c9b

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast