Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure drop.

Oil pressure drop.

So on the drive back from the show the oil pressure gauge dropped down really low which obviously made me shit my pants. I checked for smoke and oil loss but couldn't see anything to concern me so presumed it was a sensor problem as the gauge did return to normal after a few mins. It did this a few times on the journey.
    So what I was wondering was could there be something else that is causing low pressure if I find nothing wrong with the sensor, wiring continuity or the gauge.

Blockage in the sensor?

Could be dirty oil how often do you change the oil?

Fingers crossed its some thing simple mate.

cheers, its all simple really..engine is fine so maybe the oil pump but thought that would just fail and not be intermittent..
    oil and filter change every year which on zombie is only a few thousand miles..

If the pump failed it would be game over as then you would have no pressure what so ever, do the cheap stuff first clean sensor or buy new, the gauge should be ok but check wires to it you never know one good be earthing out.

Just a thought could it be the turbo oil feed is getting restricted then clearing then restricted or needs a good blast to sort it out, seeing as you don't do a lot of miles, I've just put some Lucas oil stabilizer in and that stuffs great.

could have been a faulty PRV mech in the pump (dirty maybe). or maybe be a dirty contact on the sender .. crappy little connections, only one wire to gauge oil pressure unsure how the transducer works inside to vary the voltage ?
    Last edited by adamh; 24-07-2012 at 11:43.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

will change the oil and filter again just in case, is there a method of flushing an oil system before refilling?

Engine flushing oil, add to your oil run it for 10 mins or till normal operating temp do not rev the engine, drain oil then replace filter and fill with new oil do not put new filter on while using engine flush as will need throwing after use.

Just read the instructions on the tin mate.

goo luck, have used wynns before, seems to clean o.k
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Or do two oil changes.

Chuck some cheap oil in and a new filter on and drive it a hundred miles.

Drop it all and put decent stuff in.

C.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Might just be a crap connection on the sender, also check at the N1 Y/B wire, you know what the N1 is like for water ingress/corrosion. The 3s-gte is also known for the odd oil pump failure, although you usually get no warning. I presume your bottom end is rattle free on startup?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast