Thread: Mk2 Rusty bits - any ideas?

Mk2 Rusty bits - any ideas?

We spotted these rusty bits while we had the boot stripped, John was a bit concerned but we couldn't see a way to get to them. Ive not seen this before, anyone got any ideas on what causes a car to rust here?

These rust spots are against the front wall of the boot at the far ends just over the rear arches.

Thoughts?

C.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, that looks like a fluid has hit it, penetrated the paint and ran down. Could a bottle of DOT4 been in this vicinity and spilt?

No wait, to clarify, thats a symmetrical corrosion point on BOTH sides of the boot? hmm, im thinking water ingress now... If its still solid and thats surface rust, the cause must be in the boot. Look for evidence on what was in the boot. Was there something about the plastic trims in there that could have wore away the paint and caused a pin hole that could blister to that level over time?

This is John's car i take it Chris.....

I will say now that i think the rev5's surface finishing is by far the worst of all revisions... The rev1 i am cutting up for a trailer has ZERO RUST on it ZERO!!!! My r5 sonic shadow has little patches everywhere!

I'd say that's probably the tiniest of marks on the outside that has come through.

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    This is John's car i take it Chris.....

I will say now that i think the rev5's surface finishing is by far the worst of all revisions... The rev1 i am cutting up for a trailer has ZERO RUST on it ZERO!!!! My r5 sonic shadow has little patches everywhere!

I'd say that's probably the tiniest of marks on the outside that has come through.

cutting up one for a trailer i dont know .

patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytank View Post
    No wait, to clarify, thats a symmetrical corrosion point on BOTH sides of the boot?
    Spot on mate. Just to add, there appears to be small fluid runs from the rust spots, indicating that a small amount of water is dripping on them and this is the result of what has happened over time. Also, this would drain directly into the wheel arch and could easily explain the rot on the wheel arch. Drivers side is showing worse than the offside so this confirms it.

all the body above appears to be completely solid, furthermore there is no water residue to indicate ingress at any point. We also thought it being shot up from a hole in the arch but we shone an inspection light in the arch and it didn't show through on either side.

My opinion is that this could be from the T-bar drainage tubes which are either blocked or worn an water is seeping through/bypassing them and dripping from within the boot.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.
    Last edited by Torero; 17-07-2012 at 13:45.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Common issue (or so it would seem to me) as I've seen this on a few mk2's now (inc mine when I was breaking it, but not quite as bad). Seems to be damp/moisture from the wheel arches or perhaps from the drain point from the t-bar/sunroof. One guy in work had a couple of plates welded in on his rev 1. There seems to be a lot of rust spots on the mk2 hidden away that don't really get noticed until they are quite bad. :( You wouldn't normally spot this until you take the boot lining out. Isn't that also quite close to the ecu mounting point?

May be worth checking the inner wheel arch lining as well, as mine went there pretty bad too (especially on the rearward edges by the bumper) - I suspect from water from the drain points of the sunroof as well as rubbish from the roads... :( When I was taking it apart, the drain pipes from the sunroof end behind the small triangle plastic vents just behind the quarter panel windows. Can't see any easy way out from there.... so must seep through seems/run down inside if it can't run out the vent quick enough? I did often hear gurgling from that area when it was raining hard.

Would be interesting to see whether a hardtop suffers from this at all.
    Last edited by Fizzy; 17-07-2012 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    the drain pipes from the sunroof end behind the small triangle plastic vents just behind the quarter panel windows. Can't see any easy way out from there.... so must seep through seems/run down inside if it can't run out the vent quick enough? I did often hear gurgling from that area when it was raining hard.
    Spot on, Ian. This ties in exactly where I am seeing it, I also have a dodgy o/s quarter light seal so I may strip this out and check it. It sounds feasible so I'll see if the drainage pipes can be modded at the same time.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno